Offbeat trek Jakhol - Sirga Top

Govind Pashu National Park Travel Blog

Off all my trips to Offbeat places, I would rate my recent trip to Jakhol as the best. Walking in snow was always a dream, which became reality this time.

So to begin with, Jakhol is around 75 Kms from Purola in Uttarkashi district. Situated right in Govind Pashu National Park. One needs to take permission from forest office at Dehrudun or Purola before entering this Sanctuary. The permission is a small formality because they need to keep records of people entering the sanctuary and in case of any emergency, they would be able to get in touch with your family.

We were planning lots of places before we zeroed in for Jakhol. Fortunately for us we were not disappointed, the village had around three feet’s of snow and it was just great to be there. Most surprisingly people Opt for a difficult trek Har-ki-dun that is quite near to this place, without knowing that it takes a lot to trek.
First and the foremost is the stamina to walk and that too in snow. So for beginners I would recommend to do a trek like what we did. Just 5 Kms trek from Jakhol to Sirga top. Here is my trip report.

Day 1 : We started at 11.15 PM from Hazrat Nizammudin station by AC Special train to Dehradun.

Day 2 : Reached in morning around 5.30 AM at Dehradun, I had one of my friend Bhagchand who is also a local guide waiting for us at railway station. We booked an Ambassador car till Purola Costing Rs 1800. The Journey till Purola is quite picturous, going through Mussourie, and then Kempty falls. We had breakfast at Kempty falls and then we moved on. You will come across small towns like Nainbagh, Damta, Naugaon and then Purola.

On the way there is a place called Lakhamandal, which is said to be the same place where Kauravas tried to burn Pandavas in a Wax built Castle. Well I couldn't believe this but that's what people say..

After reaching Purola, we took a halt. I went to see the forest officer and took permission for further journey. From Purola Jakhol is aroung 75 Kms, and you will come across Jarmola, Mori, Netwar and then Jakhol. All through the journey, you will be following river Tons and will find beautiful location for river rafting at Mori. Jarmola has Asia's biggest pine tree as per my knowledge, the entire area is covered with thick pine forest. At Netwar two rivers meet river Rupin and Supin which form river tons and which later meets river yamuna. Netwar also has King Karn's temple, many people go there to visit, we didn’t had much time so we moved on.

It was around 5.00 PM now, and we could see fire on hills. Our driver told us that local people put that fire to burn older grass. We thought otherwise the entire forest could be on fire this way. At Netwar we saw snow on the hills for the first time and everyone was delighted to see that.

From Netwar the roads condition is in pretty bad shape, only Mahindra's Trax and jeep can make their way. At some places the roads are very narrow with gorges on one side and Steep Mountain on other. Only experienced driver advised. We reached Jakhol at 6.30 PM and the village was full of snow. As soon as we stepped out of our jeep we realized how difficult is to walk on hard snow. It was quite slippery, we took our luggages and we went to our friend’s home for stay.
In the night we had good dinner and we slept waiting for next morning, as we knew more excitement was waiting for us next day. The night was chilly.

Day 3: We got up early, and thought to have a morning walk. As soon as we stepped out one of my friend slipped twice. We had a good laugh but from there on we were careful. We packed our lunch items for the trek. After the breakfast we started for Sirga top, which is around 5 Kms from Jakhol. We were six people in all including three local guys, they kept telling us lots of local jokes and stories about the place.

The entire trek was full of snow; we were like completely bowled over by the natural beauty. Check out some of my photos of the trip.

At around 2.30 PM we reached the top passing through dense pine forest and snow.
One of our friend prepared food for us and we had good lunch sitting on snow. We took lots of snaps, guys giving their best poses.

At 3.00 PM unwillingly we decided to come down as the day is quite small during these days. On the way we decided we would again come here during summers.

We reached village at around 6.00 PM, my friends purchased local hand made clothes. We decided to leave the village in night so hired a Jeep for Rs. 3000 till Dehradun.

We departed at 7.00 PM from Jakhol after saying thanks to all friends and their family members who were very helping and took care of us.

Just when I was about to get on to the jeep, I slipped and hurt my shoulders. Hmm happens when you think and walk on snow. I still have that slight pain but I am enjoying it, as till I have that pain it will keep me reminding of that wonderful trip.

Checkout my trip images at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/travinfoindia/

Send me your suggestions on improvising the trip report, i will take care next time.