Arrival

Cozumel Travel Blog

We landed on the island of Cozumel, and there was no mistaking it. It was clear, sunny and warm, and we both knew we were going to love Mexico. Just as my trusted guidebook warned, American tourists were swarming. Luckily we immediately took the ferry to Playa San Carmen, and took the bus to Tulum. Though both Playa del Carmen and Cozumel are full of shopkeepers saying: "Sweetie, you want some silver jewelry?", once you leave the beachfront, you can still catch glimpses of the beautiful trees and people going about their daily lives.

As we were hiking through the narrow streets of Playa del Carmen, and trying to avoid the multitude of vendors, we noticed two tiny monkeys perched on a man's shoulders. We walked away down the cobbled street, but I kept looking back longingly. I have an irrational fondness of monkeys, and finally I caved in. We posed with the tiny, curious squirrel monkeys on our shoulders, and made a small donation to the timid, soft-spoken man working for thr local conservation cause.

While on the bus to Tulum, the guy in front of us overheard us speaking English. He asked for help with his English homework, and it was great being on even footing. We mispronounced in equal parts, and there was no shame in chuckling at each other.

The hotel at El Crucero had disappointing rooms, but the hammocks in the courtyard were comfy enough to tempt us to stay. The owner seemed a little dazed, though I think the hotel employees find us weird too, after I possessively stopped the waiter from taking away our emptry tea-bag sachets. I decided explaining that I'd put a seed bug nymph in there for safekeeping wouldn't have advanced my cause. The cute little garden also included two extravagantly orange orchard orioles

Cozumel