Baloney is not Blarney

Blarney Travel Blog

Origin:

The Blarney stone’s reputation made a lot of  statesmen, actors, orators, and writers join in the queue  climbing the steps to kiss it, so that they will not be lost for words anymore.

The stone is believed to be half of the original the Lia Fail or ‘Fatal Stone’, used as an oracular throne of Irish kings, the Harry Potter-version of  ‘sorting hat’ , it was presented to Cormac McCarthy by Robert the Bruce  in 1314 in recognition of his support in the Battle of Bannockburn. The power of the stone supposedly was then revealed to the MacCarthy’s by a witch saved from drowning, but hey we all love good stories here.

Now, now, why should we pay just to blabber baloney things when you can do it freely? Baloney is not Blarney, there is a difference.

Take this example given by the locals:

Baloney is when you tell a 50 year old woman that she looks 18

Blarney is when you ask a woman how old she is, because  you want to know at what age women are most beautiful…

Don’t you agree ?

Hold Me, Dangle Me, Kiss Me:

Especially on peak season, you have to kiss the stone so that you can see it.

Back then, to kiss the stone, you must be held by the legs, head downwards over the battlements, and kiss it while you get yourself dangled. So back then, we can only imagine how many people have muster their courage to do this feat, but thanks to ‘technology’, there are now iron bars  that we can grasp so that hopefuls like me will only need to flirt with the danger.

It was really an easy task, you lie down, hold the bar, kiss then smile at the camera….so I was really calm about it, besides a crew was also there to assist you in the kissing. When it was my turn, I realized that because of my short stature, my torso was also short!  I had to lean more backward if I want to kiss the stone…I can feel my center of gravity was off down and I got sudden vertigo seeing the height of the castle from the ground in an upside down view. So in my first attempt I failed to kiss it…*sniff*sniff* after picking my confidence again,  I was more composed now,  I lie down again and I still cannot reach the stone! The kind man pushed me forward but with a strong grip on my waist,  I then puckered up to the stone and give it with a big smack :D. I got up, my face was all red, the people after me, can’t help gushing “My God, that’s very scary for her” hahahahaha.

A certificate can be obtained that you kissed the stone and now, I am officially a blarney stone kisser bragger.

Top is the Best Position:

The stone is not the only thing that will make the climb worthwhile, looking on the view  from the battlement would put you in awe. My friend, Coffeefairy, once said that “Ireland is so green”….i concur with her…even in autumn, it is soooo greeen.

The Chambers with a view:

While going down, I had then got a chance to explore the chambers of the castle, well the Earl’s does get the big room and I am still confused why is there a room called “the lady and the priest’s room’ :p The Family room was spacious  and  accessible to the kitchen, but it is still hard to imagine how they manage to move along on the castle with staircases that is very steep and narrow. I got myself stuck in garderobe, before I realize where I was..Ugh.

aoisoba says:
Hi there! thanks for dropping by at my blog. Glad to hear you enjoyed this entry :D i did enjoy doing and writing it ;) Oh, work has lured me here in the emerald isle...i only started exploring the place, northen ireland is so gorgeous!! and will do more exploring, maybe i really should get a license :)
Posted on: Dec 31, 2007
milltownmeadow says:
Very nice I enjoyed that!
So what is a lady from the Philippines doing in my homeland?
Posted on: Dec 31, 2007
I see trees are green...even in au…
I see trees are green...even in a…
dangle you go