AsiaIndiaCochin

Returning to Cochin

Cochin Travel Blog

Chinese Fishing Nets

The bus from Munnar reached Cochin Edapally station around 10.30 AM. I wanted to get my cell phone back from the rickshaw driver. However, I could not find him at the place where he mentioned he would be. I tried to call on my cell phone but it was directly going to the voice mail. Most probably it would have run out of power. A couple of hours of effort trying to identify this person didn't quite help. I decided to leave it and move on. The disappointing part was that I couldn't call Annooz and say that I won't be able to visit her (She later told me that they were expecting us and her mom had prepared lunch for us).

Anyway, before heading for Aleppey I thought I will take Prashant to show the Chinese fishing nets - an iconic symbol of Cochin. We took a bus to Fort Cochin where these fishing nets are still in use. The array of fishing nets is an interesting view and has been photographed by many many people. I joined that group with this pic. These fishing nets are operated manually purely based on physics/mechanics (no electrical or electronic circuits at all).

We spent about an hour at the fishing harbor - watched the fishermen operate the Chinese fishing nets for a catch, walked by the shops who display the freshly caught fish that you can pick for a meal (they will cook it and serve it with your favorite drinks and sides), bargained at few local stores selling shells and other craft items. We also helped ourselves to tender coconut fruit and the juice which is known to be an energy boosting recipe.

Around 1.30 pm we got into a bus that would take us to Aleppey from Cochin.

Cochin