Jump start

Mangalore Travel Blog

It is Wednesday. We are gonna catch the Mangalore-Chennai Mail (it is teh name of a train, don't be confused) starting from Mangalore Central station at 1.30 PM. It will take us close to my home town in may be 5-6 hours. Rest of the journey will be on the road. I bought two general compartment tickets to Kuttipuram (there was not enough time to reserve a sleeper compartment ticket). Know what? You can always approach the TTR (the ticket checker) and bargain to get a sleeper seat if there are vacant spots. I go to the first TTR we met and ask if he will let us board the Sleeper compartment. The dude says No. I can see empty seats. He doesn't think there are any. I go back and forth to a couple of guys (there were 3-4 of them) no luck. It is time for the train to start. Green signal... Flag waiving... Let us try to enjoy the always crowded General Compartment ride - I thought. I have done it a few times...  fun but sweaty. Oh wait... the TTR dude is calling us. Train had already started moving. Prashant and I ran and jumped in. Life is peaceful for the next 6 hours. Peace cost us 2 General to Sleeper upgraded tickets and the balance money out of 100 bucks that I'm legally eligible to receive from the TTR. Prashant was taking pictures of the greenery filled rail route, I saw. We leave the train at Kuttipuram station, catch the bus to Kunnamkulam town and take an auto rickshaw to reach my home. 8 PM it was.
photo by: jayans