Aleppey, the land of back waters and house boats

Alleppey Travel Blog

Aleppey Town

Here we are at the last destination of our trip. Aleppey is a small beautiful town. I did not have a problem finding the tourist information center on the busy street side. The best thing about being in a place where you can speak the local language is that you can bargain on the prices for the services offered to the traveling people. A full day rental price for a houseboat here can be anywhere above 2500 INR. Since we did not have a full day with us before returning to Mangalore I wanted a small house boat for overnight cruise. It is difficult to find such a thing especially if you are reaching there late in the afternoon. Luckily for us there would be one available if we were ready to wait about an hour. You won't believe that I finally struck the deal for 1200 INR for that boat including our night time meal and next day morning’s break fast.

rush hour - houseboat traffic

The house boat ride to the deep back waters offers magnificent views. Since it was already 6 PM we gave up our sight seeing plans.

The boat crew included the driver (he was the owner of that boat too... a true gentleman), an assistant and a cook. We picked our dinner menu on our way. One shouldn’t miss the local flavors if you are going to Aleppey. Kappa Kuzhachathu (Steamed Tapioca) and Meen Pattichathu (Red Hot and Sour Fish Curry), Kallummakay (Mussels Fry), Karimeen (Pearl Fish) and chilled Kallu (Toddy - a sort of Palm Wine tapped from Coconut trees) --- this combination rocks! Sitting on a bamboo chair on the deck of the house boat you can enjoy the beautiful landscape and sip toddy until you fall off!

I got up in the morning listening to the motor boat engine sound. Local people use this service for traveling in and around Aleppey. I took a dive into the greenly back waters. The water is a bit on the colder side during mornings and will sure wake you up. After breakfast we returned to Aleppey town.

I wish I had more time to spend in Aleppey but hey I can go back there anytime I want. The boat driver's hospitality was truly remarkable. We made friend with him. If I'm going there next time I'm sure I don't have to search for help.

rush hour - houseboat traffic
Beautiful View - Moon, Coconut Tre…
Beautiful View - Moon, Coconut Tr…
it does call me back