Day Two--A Day at the Beach

San Diego Travel Blog

Margo, Jolene, and Dennis.

We slept in as we were on vacation and had nothing planned. After a bite to eat, and just doing a lot of nothing for awhile, we decided to take Jolene to the beach. None of us, excluding Dennis and Carrie, had ever been to the ocean before, so this was definitely something we wanted to do. Dennis was most familiar with Mission Bay Beach, so that was were we decided to go.

It was a beautiful day and we got there sometime in the early afternoon. Carrie had to work, so it was just the four of us. But that was OK. We brought towels and sunscreen and a cooler full of ice cold drinks and found ourselves a spot. It was crowded, but not terribly so. It wasn't long before Margo, Jolene, and I all headed to the water. I took the video camera to capture the event.

My best friend, Dennis
Jolene was not sure about this at all. Jolene is not quite three years old, and  had spent her whole life in Colorado and had never seen this much water in one spot. But the most disconcerting part for her was the waves. The lakes that she had played on the shore back home did not have waves that came rushing in. The ones today were not huge, but there were people surfing. Trust me. There are no surfers on the lakes of Colorado, so this was new. Her mother coaxed her out about three feet out into the wet sand. That meant she would get hit by the waves, but then the water would retreat back. Her mother hovered over the top of her, and after a taking another step or two closer to the danger zone, Jolene decided that she would just hand on to her mother and pull her feet up.
Jolene in Seaport Village
This avoided the waves all together.

After about 10 minutes they decided to retreat back to the towels. I went out into the water, but I didn't really see the allure. It's salty and while not dirty, it was not what I would call clean either. Not with the various seaweeds and other plants. Dennis and I had rented boogie boards and we messed around with them for awhile. But we also decided that a cool drink and a little lounging around would be fun too. We all did the back and forth thing. In the water for awhile, back on the towels for awhile, water, towels, water, towels. This lasted for about an hour and a half. By then we had enjoyed the beach enough. We rinsed off, got into clean cloths, and decided to head to Seaport Village.

Seaport Village was located a few miles south of Mission Bay on I-5, so we were there in no time.  Seaport Village is right on the water at the center of San Diego Bay. Out in bay you can see North Island Naval Air Station and then off to your left (southish) you can see the Coronado Bridge. The Village itself has lots of little shops and restaurants to explore. It didn't take us long to get something cold to drink as it was about 4:00 and still plenty hot. We saw a military helicopter fly in and a number of large pleasure boats sail by. Jolene enjoyed the fountain that we came across. She played in that some and enjoyed getting her hands wet and then "splashing" one of us with them. We had arrived at a fortuitous time as the Seaport Village Juggler was to put on one of his shows at 4:40. So we gathered around with the rest of the crowd and watched him do his thing. He was pretty talented and amusing enough to coax a dollar or two out of us when he was finished.

After the juggler we wander around a bit more, ate a pretzel, took in the shops, and called it day long before the sun was to go down. So it was back to Dennis' place, where we cooked up dinner, watched a little TV, and talked. Kind of an unexciting and leisurley day, but as we had two weeks, it wasn't like we were in a hurry. We decided to try the San Diego Zoo tomorrow.

sylviandavid says:
Sounds like a good day to me! Sylvia
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008