Toronto

Toronto Travel Blog

This is Toronto from our hostel.

After an 8-hour Grey  Hound ride, we got to Toronto.  This is a big city, but it's quite easily walkable to the main sites/squares etc.  I found this place really laid back and very cool.  The first thing we managed to do was lose our bearings.  We stopped and pulled out a map to work out which road to go down, only to put it away again, as we were immediately getting help with directions, without even asking! It is a very friendly city.

We went to see the CN Tower and go to the top.  Ok - the view is great, there's a glass floor to look down from, it get's lit up at night, and offers great views of the city, but what else does it do? I couldn't work out what this building was actually for, other than some massive aerial for something?  I'm still confused!

We walked along the harbour front and found the Star strip.

I didn't realise until this day that Pam Anderson and Kiefer Sutherland are Canadian! British ignorance I guess.

On one of our evenings, we got some tickets to watch the Blue Jays at the Rogers Center.  I've never seen any baseball live before this, and didn't really know what to expect.  Now this sport, one of America and Canada's big loves, was awesome to see, but the game itself, I found quite slow.  The atmosphere at the ground was great and there's a lot going on in between the change overs.  I found it quite surreal and amusing in the main.  When I go to watch football (soccer) over here, it's all taken seriously and it's properly gutting watching Everton, if they lose, and amazing when they win.  It's the same feeling playing.

CN Tower
 I think a less serious approach to sport makes it more fun - even in the catastrophic event of defeat!!  I will definitely watch baseball again in the future.

I went to the Hockey Museum as well, to pass a bit of time while waiting for the next bus trip to Chicago. That's a well laid out Museum.  I remember playing hockey on the old Sega Megadrive when Gretzski was around.  He was my favourite player on the game, simply because he scored from everywhere.  The amount of awards and honours he's got explains the why he was so unstoppable on the game!

Toronto is a very cool city to hang-out in.  We got hammered here a couple of nights, went to the IMAX, and generally just took time out.  It was great just to soak up the atmosphere.  I've got a friend who lived here for a year - I'm jealous!  I will go back one day.

Looking down the CN Tower
Looking down the CN Tower
Went to watch the Blue Jays at the…
Went to watch the Blue Jays at th…
The Hockey Hall of Fame