Fun at La Fon

Manitou Springs Travel Blog

Monday, July 20, 1996

It was about an hour’s drive from Buckskin Joe to the La Fon Motel in Manitou Springs. We had stayed at the LaFon a few years ago before Jessi was born. That occasion was indelibly impressed upon me, when I discovered a Colorado SWAT team cordoning off a different section of the motel

On that occasion, after a good night’s sleep, I was up and ready to travel. But first, I walked out of our room, intent on going to the lobby to get a post card. As I turned the corner I saw, ten feet away, directly in front of me, facing to my left, a fully armored SWAT officer holding a very impressive looking automatic rifle. No post card for me. I’ll have to cover that story, in detatil,  when I right about our 1986 trip to the area.

This year there was no such surprises.

The La Fon Motel's neon sign
We had gotten in around 7 PM, checked into the hotel and had dinner at the Mason Jar, which was about 1 ½ miles from our motel. Again, we had visited this place before as well, and while not memorable for the same reason as the La Fon, the food and service were good. I remember it being kid friendly, and we all enjoyed a good meal.

Back to the hotel, and as it was a warm summer night, Margo got roped into a trip to the outdoor pool. I believe it is an undeniable truth of traveling with kids. It doesn’t matter if your plans include a helicopter trip around Mount Rushmore and dinner with Mickey Mouse, their agenda will always include a dip in the hotel pool.

With that taken care of, we all got ready for bed. We had another full day to get ready for, tomorrow.

The La Fon Motels neon sign