Day 1 - Meet the expedition members

Gorkha Travel Blog

A small expedition group had assambled in the morning at the TrailFinders office consisting of Sarah (the American girl), Joseph (that damned Spaniard who convinced me to join), Brian (the Irish guy), one guide, one assistant guide, one cook, two porters and me. Wow that's a lot of people I thought and looked at the gear, food and other supplies the porters had to carry, there's no way that they could carry my backpack even if they wanted to. So if we had to carry our own backpacks or hire a porter for $15 per day, I say "Help the local economy, but don't help them that much" meaning no way I was going to pay $15 per day to someone to carry a my backpack of 5 kilo on his back for 18 days and part with $270 in total excluding tip.

Our little expedition team or you could almost mistaken it for a small invasion army had to wait for the bus that would take us to Gorkha as it got stuck in the busy Thamel traffic. Which didn't really come as a surprise to me considering the narrow overcrowded streets of Thamel. On our way to Gorkha we stopped at a teahouse for lunch and I had my first taste of one of Nepal's finest or most likely only local dish; Dalbat (rice with soup). The good news was that it didn't taste as bad as it looked like, but the bad news was that this was going to be my dieet for the next 18 days. Just as every Nepali I would wake up with Dalbat or Nepali champa, have Dalbat for lunch and go bed with Dalbat.

AndiPerullo says:
Well, at least you'll lose some weight! ;-)
Posted on: Jun 26, 2007