The start of a long drive

Cloquet Travel Blog

So my mom and I decided to head up north today... I talked to her last night, she wanted to leave at 10AM... umm int's a 3 hour drive from the twin cities to get up to Duluth.  I told her I wanted to leave earlier... she said ok, 8AM... I talked to my roomie when I got home from work and she highly suggested we leave at 6:30AM at the latest because of rush hour traffic.  I called my mom, she's staying at a near by hotel, and I told her what Lindsey said....but instead of 6:30 I just said 6AM.  She didn't sound too happy but grudgingly agreed and said she'd pick me up the next day (which was today).

at 6:15 she came by and picked me up and we got a sandwich for breakfast at the speedy america gas station at the corner of my road and entered in Duluth into my GPS and just started going.  On the way up I saw the exit for Cloquet and said we need to stop there.  I wanted to see the Frank Lloyd Wright building that is a gas station. I told her I didn't know what to expect, but I wanted to look at it and get a photo so I can make a post card for my friend in Brooklyn who loves FLW and architecture.  See I noticed when I moved here that there aren't that many places that sell post cards around here so I bought one of those canon small photo printers (the one that uses acetate, or what not, to print on instead of ink) and a travel inverter so I could get her a post card made.

My mom was excited to go there because even though she paid more for full serve her windows were disquisting because of dead bugs!!  I tell you it was horrible... her windshied wasn't even that bad driving 14 hours here from Pittsburgh.  So she found it well worth the stop.

Next stop another hour and a half away north to Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

Cloquet Sights & Attractions review
The only gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
The only gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright was built in 1956 and the idea was essentially totally de-centralized American urban landscape; th… read entire review
Cloquet