Milford Sounds

Milford Sound Travel Blog

9 AM cruise around Milford Sound

That afternoon we headed in the car for the long drive to Milford Sound (part of Fiorland). We lucked out and got four spots in the only backpacker in town. I was starting to feel pretty crappy after my big day of paragliding so when we got there I was very happy to find out that there was absolutely nothing to do in the town. That night I went to bed early so that we could get up for the 9AM cruise in the morning. Milford Sound is a really beautiful geological area which previously was carved out by glaciers. We got on the boat at 9AM (which had a free breakfast!) It was really misty and with the mountains, mist and waterfalls it was really tremendous. There were a few waterfalls coming off the cliffs (the big attraction of Milford Sound) so we got to experience that.

the guys
However, when we got off the boat it started to downpour. On our drive out of Milford all the mountains had hundreds of waterfalls flowing down them. It was really a cool site to see all the mountain faces transformed into white faced waterfalls. To enter and leave Milford you have to drive through one on the mountains (probably a half mile deep and a half mile high). It was crazy to imagine that we were able to drive back through a mountain! That night we headed back to Queenstown for the evening where I met up with some of Adam’s friends in addition to Caroline from my East As trip and some of her friends. The backpackers split off and we had a great dance party at the Buffalo Bar. It’s really cool how I keep running into these people again and again.

getting blown away in the wind