An NZ Summary

Christchurch Travel Blog

So we've been hear just less than 3 weeks. We've seen a lot, particularly of the south island but still leave feeling like we've barely scratched the surface of what the country has to offer. I think to really see all the country has to offer a tourist / traveller you're looking at needing to spend at least 3 months here. We've already talked about an itinerary to do 'next time' :-)

That said, I don't leave with regrets - we've visited some of the best mountains and glaciers, fiords and beaches the world, let alone NZ has to offer and gone surfing, jetboating, luging, skydiving, kayaking and on many many walks. And everywhere we've gone people have been lovely!

It must be said if I didn't have a job to go back to I would simply stay here. I think most people think the same way - we've met so many people that came here for a season and now they're in their 7th or came for 2 weeks and stayed for 6 months. It's just such a lovely place to 'live'. 'live' in every sense of the word - people here work hard and play hard and they've o the environment all round them to facilitate this.

There are some downsides though - it's not cheap here and wages don't seem to be comparable to the high costs of goods and housing, to really make the most of it you'd have to either live in Auckland and get a great job and make the most of weekends etc OR settle for transient job, probably in the south island and in tourism and just cut your cloth accordingly. To be honest this is pretty much the same in every country I guess but I'd say you really do need money to get the most out of all the activities that you could do here.

Anyway - our top 5 highlights of the trip:

1. Sky Diving in Queens Town!
2. Taking a cruise around Milford Sound
3. Sea Kayaking in Abel Tasman
4. Wandering around Vineyards sampling the world famous local produce in Marlborough
5. Sleepy, surfy days in Piha chilling on the beach or swimming in waterfalls - all just 45mins from Auckland! stop Fiji!!

photo by: Fulla