Flying High!!

Hollister Travel Blog

In my lifetime, there are so many places I want to see, many things I want to do, and many things I definitely want to experience.  I always knew I wanted to go skydiving.  When I use to bring up skydiving or anything remotely adventurous, I would get a mixture of "REALLY, that's awesome!" or "REALLY, you're crazy!!"  So, I made the decision to go skydiving the day before my birthday.  I decided to go through the company that my cousins had gone through a couple of years ago, reliability was a plus in my mental book.  Adventure Center Skydiving is located in Hollister, CA.  And from what I remember, it's one of a few, if not the only in California that has the highest tandem jump 18,000 feet with a 90 second free fall (oxygen optional!).

Surprisingly, as adventurous as I was, I didn't opt for the highest jump.  I stuck to the 15,000 feet, 60 second free fall tandem jump.

When me and my friends were given 30 minute training session, the main instructor said something I'll always remember. He basically said, that when a person jumps out of a plane, one or the other will happen. . .either you flat out realize this was the most ludecris thing I've ever done, I think I'm gonna be sick or. . .you can take away something unexplainable that it changes your life for the better.  The latter is exactly how I felt.

Tandem skydiving (cuz I would never do it on my own!) from 15,000 feet above the ground was the most life altering thing I've ever been through.  The absolute gratification of being out of control was liberating.

The one word that I would use to describe how I felt jumping out of that rickety old plane was FREEDOM.  I was totally free from my everyday life, from the continuous mental list that pile on and on over and over again.  I was free of my own responsiblities and worries.  Putting things in perspective was something that came to mind after I jumped. It was calming and spiritual.

When you say 60 seconds of free fall, it doesn't sound very long but it was an eternity.  Enough time to enjoy the moment of flight, and the world below you.  If anyone ever has the inkling of thought to go skydiving, go for it!  It'll be the best thing you'll ever do. . .next to travelling that is! ;)

Dolphintrekker says:
I was on the edge of your seat fun, literally!!!!!!!!!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
mszoey says:
Hi, I did my first tandem jump back in October in Hollister too, awesome! My favorite part was after the parachute opened, it was so peaceful, most peace I have ever known! Clear day and you can see all the way to the Montery Bay.
Posted on: Dec 26, 2007
RacquelT127 says:
So cool.. I have yet to experience this.. and I'm not sure if I will be able to handle it. I definitely want a medical clearance first. lol.. with my breathing problems I think I might need the oxygen.. But how cute will my pictures be if I had an oxygen mask on.. Yeah total yuck... I will need to do countless brainstorming and evaluating before I go through with it. So cool though.. what a rush i looks like and totally awesome to watch your dvd. Bravo sister!!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2007