My Most Awesome Day... Until My Memory Card Died

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

Sunset over Boeung Kak, the only picture I salvaged from this day. My lost pictures of this sunset were even prettier!

I had gotten into Phnom Phen by the evening of the 26th, with a stopover in Taiwan and another stop (and airline and airport switch) in Kuala Lumpur. I checked myself into a hostel on the shore of Beong Kak, which the book described as a backpacker central with sunsets that should not be missed. It was right on both accounts -- the sunset was absolutely gorgeous, but the area was pretty much a white ghetto of make-shift hostels and cafes.

I got up at 4AM on the 27th and headed to downtown Phnom Phen. I stopped for a delicious bowl of noodle soup at one of the many roadside foodstops -- it came with Cambodian donuts and tea and only cost, like, $2. My next stop was the central market, where I blew a lot of money (and by a lot of money I mean, like, $30) on crazy bags and Engrish shirts that I can't quite fit into (Cambodia clothes come in one-size-fits-all-Cambodians, aka size small).

I ended up with a big bag of stuff, wondering how I was going to fit all of it into my backpack. Definitely worth it though -- this was the best market I went to on the trip.

I walked around town until about noon, a good 6 hours of sight seeing, including the beautiful Royal Palace, a nice walk along the river, a visit to the Independance Monument, the Vietnam Friendship Monument and lots of other interesting unnamed structures. I had more than enough time to do tomorrow's sightseeing as well, so I jumped into Tuk Tuk and headed to the killing fields, and a shooting range nearby where you can shoot an AK-47 for $30 or a rocket launcher for $200.

I got back to the hostel in time for the gorgeous sunset reflecting its pinks and reds over the lake just off the hostel's back deck, sillouettes of Cambodian children in long canoes floating across the shallow waters.

Soo... why aren't there any pictures of my most awesome day? I was watching that amazing sunset back at the hostel, when all of a sudden my screen reads "memory card error".

Memory card error!?!!

Yah. My memory card just up and died for no reason. Like, it decided it was so full of awesome pictures it just had no where to go but down and decided to commit suicide. Blargh.

******************************

Update!!! Staples fixed my memory card!!!!! Now you can actually see what my most awesomest day looked like. Oh, and reviews of the Royal palace and Killing Feilds are below, after all the pictures.

Ann_Hells says:
That must have been annoying! Cameras are so necessary to a happy vacation. The worst I've come into was running out of memory in two days, but that's easy to fix with a new card.
I'm glad Staples ironed out the problem, they look great as thumbnails haha so here I go to look at them!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2008
EDGtravel says:
I feel your pain...I did a road trip up to alaska and hit all the national parks on the way. When I got to calgary i decided to develope some film because I was real excited about the pictures I shot in Yellowstone and Glacier. When I got my film back, I had a huge burn mark in the center of every image. A shutter leaf had broken in my camera.

But now I shoot digital. I have had good luck with my cards. They have been through the washing machine with my clothes more than once and havent lost an image yet.(knock on wood)
Posted on: Feb 23, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
Mimi, you write a fantastic blog.
The info in the comments below is great advise, thanks Aopaq.
Cheers
Elke
Posted on: Jan 25, 2008
Sunset over Boeung Kak, the only p…
Sunset over Boeung Kak, the only …
kitties at the market
Door carvings at Royal Palace
Sacred flowers at the Royal Palace
Sacred flowers at the Royal Palace
Phnom Penh Sights & Attractions review
The Khmer Rouge gained control of Phnom Phen in 1975, in the chaos of civil war and U.S. bomb raids relating to the war for neighboring Vietnam. They … read entire review
Phnom Penh Sights & Attractions review
The Royal Palace is a complex of pretty wats, buildings and gardens, where the King of Cambodia still lives, although lots of guards and ropes prevent… read entire review
Phnom Penh