AsiaThailandPai

Hiking to Hill Tribes, Fording Rivers and the What Not to Do with Cameras and Water

Pai Travel Blog

pictures from the Cave Lodge before my camera died

The next morning, the Aussies and I went on an all-day hike in the hills around the cave lodge. Our guide, a lady who worked at the lodge, pointed out lots of native plants and explained about local life in the hills.

Unfortunately, I wasn't halfway up the first hill when my crappily made Thai water bottle exploded in my purse, drenching my camera. Apparently, as I have since learned, you're not supposed to turn on your camera if this happens cuz that's how things shortcircuit and whatnot. Of course, my first reaction was to freak out and turn on my camera over and over again to see if it was OK. It made a sad little sputtering noise and died. RIP Canon SD800. I am having absolutely zero camera mojo on this trip.

Ironically, my camera's disasterous encounter with water had nothing to do with the gazillion times we forded rivers and streams on our hike.

outside the cave lodge
Our guide took us up ridges and down into valleys, along streams and past pastures as the sun rose into the sky. We lunched by the river and fed a school of hungry fish before finally reaching a cave.

The cave was the best part of the hike. The entrance was way low to the ground and we all had to crawl through. Once inside, we walked through caverns of sparkling limestone formations. The cave is much less well tread than Tham Lod, so the formations were whiter and the environment creepier. Our guide told us about some dude that had gotten lost in a cave for days -- I could totally imagine how easy that would be without a light!

After the cave we went to a Karen village, where we saw lots of cute farm animals. The village women created an instant ad-hoc market by bringing all their textiles right to us.

cave lodge

It was late in the afternoon when we got back to the lodge. Luckily for me, Lawrence and Mike were on the almost exact same itinerary as me -- their flight home was scheduled out of Chiang Mai hours after mine. They were super nice and not only let me hitch a ride back in their sweet rental car (avoiding a long ride back on the crazy bus), but let me sit in the front of the car on those nausea-inducing curves.

We got into Pai that night and got a place for the three of us at some hotel next to a bar blasting Britney Spears. We met up with some Australian girls the boys had met earlier on the trip and headed to a "jazz" bar that had live music. The place was pretty cool -- the open air platform of pillow seats and low tables created a relaxed atmosphere where everyone could just chill and listen to the music, which ranged from silly (some white chick turning 60's rock songs into soft rock lounge numbers) to really cool (a Thai kid playing the blues on his guitar).

thenewextrememimi says:
None at all... It was one of those dinky plastic ones with the snap off top that guesthouses rebrand in their own name.
Posted on: Jan 27, 2008
stabber911 says:
No luck with camara in this trip!! Which bottle water brand did you have?
Posted on: Jan 27, 2008
reikunboy says:
I think if my camera got wet , my first instincts would be to turn it on to see if it still works I now know not to. thanks to you lol
Posted on: Jan 26, 2008
pictures from the Cave Lodge befor…
pictures from the Cave Lodge befo…
Pai