Butter Living on the River Kwai

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

awesomest shirt ever

The next morning, I took a bus up to Kanchanaburi, about 3-4 hours north of Bangkok. The public pus cost about 80 baht, was air conditioned and pretty comfortable. It did get pretty crowded along the way, but it was fun to see the interesting people, including this kid with the most awesome Engrish shirt ever. Buy product hand gun for fun profitablity butter living through capitalism?! The fact that the hand gun in question looks like an old-timey pirate pistol from the 1820's? So cool. And I'm betting he has no idea about the multiple awesome layers of irony his shirt exudes.

I got into Kanchanaburi around 1PM, and booked into the Pong Pen Guesthouse, where I met my first real live lady boy.

bridge on the river kwai
No, make that real live Thai lady boy. I have met many a tranny in San Francisco. In any case, she helped me fix my TV, which I thought was broken, but really I just couldn't figure out the remote.

Kanchanburi is a cute little town famous for its part in WWII history -- it's allied cemetary and famous Bridge over the River Kwai bring in a lot of the mainstream tours. But, it's also a  cheapo backpacker base for side trips around Central Thailand, where there are several waterfalls, elephant trek/rafting opportunities, and cultural sites. There are lots of guesthouses with floating bungalows right on the water.

I spent the afternoon walking around, looking for tours for the next day, and strolling by the river. It wasn't too long before I reached the famous bridge, which was pretty much mobbed with tourists, but made for some pretty pictures anyway. After a dinner of squid on a stick and oh so delicious watermelon slushee, I walked backed to town, where I met some old ex-pats drinking at a bookstore bar. That's right, a bookstore bar.

stabber911 says:
If you go to Karnchanaburi with friends then you might enjoy bamboo barge with hut.. where you can ride the barge drink and and have fun while can stay in Kwai river.
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008
bridge on the river kwai
oishi box tea -- yummy and cute!
oishi box tea -- yummy and cute!
WWII train
WWII train
Kanchanaburi Hostels review
I had a great time at the Pong Pen Guesthouse. They're in the backpacker strip, on the River Kwai and offer both bungalows over the river and balconie… read entire review
Kanchanaburi