Our day at sea

Charlotte Amalie Travel Blog

Today is our only day with no port of call, as we travel between the US Virgin Islands and Aruba. The cruise ship operators understand that this long time between ports gives potential for quite contemplation and spending time with loved ones, so they try to fill in those gaps with non-stop stimulation. There is a theatre, two movie cinemas, a casino, two pools, a cyber golf course, a mini-golf course, a jogging track, several spas, a basketball court, a library, a nightclub, several bars, and constant events occuring. I think we will end up missing Princess Popstars, Are They Real or Statues, Majority Rules Trivia Night (where the most popular answer is the correct answer), the seminar on How to Eat More to Weight Less, the Ionithermie Super Algae Detox ("you will lose 3-8 inches of external toxins in 1 session") and Scrapbooking@Sea (It's the Latest Craze at Sea, Bring your Creativity!!!).

This morning we started with a tour of the ship, then we entered the Gingerbread House making competition. Like the Iron Chefs we had one hour to make our creation, which Lydia lept into with great gusto. It was a lot of fun actually. Later on in the day we had a formal tea, served with scones by silver service, we briefly saw a martini demonstration and at the moment there are carols being sung outside. For my sanity they have not really gone overboard with the whole Christmas Eve thing - I guess the Cruise ship probably reached the pinnacle of decadance, hedonism and consumerism during the regular cruises, so they don't really have any ability to knock it up a notch for Christmas. At the moment Lydia is painting a pot in a ceramics class up on deck. Now I have to get ready for cocktails with the captain, a formal dinner and a magic show.

Charlotte Amalie