Slumming it in the bourgeois part of town..

Carmel Highlands Travel Blog

Our fireplace!
It's so funny being in Carmel. Especially at this hotel, which is tres gorgeous/snooty.

I go on so many timeshare vacations that I have a pretty standard schedule. Check in, check out the facilities, go shopping for a week's worth of food to cook (usually comes to about $100 give or take and ends up saving quite a bit of money eating mediocre food elsewhere) and then plan the itinerary based on concierge recommendations and discounts and personal interests. This place though, is extremely bourgeois. I didn't bother to open their "in room dining" menu until just now. They have amazing things in addition to the usual fare like this:

Hiker's Companion - $30 per person
"Strap your lunch to your back with our picnic backpacks and turn your hike into a luncheon adventure.
Just getting in and trying to set up the DVD player =)
All backpacks come with Whole Fruit, Bag of chips, Power Bar or chocolate Chip Cookie, Mineral Water, and your choice of one of the following: Smoked Turkey and Swiss Cheese on a Chive Roll, Grilled Vegetables with Yogurt Dill dressing in a Flour Tortilla, or Roast Beef with Horseradish Cream on a Chive Roll.

Beachcomber's Basket - $90 for 2 people
Soak in the sun and the blue waters of the Monterey bay while you enjoy a delectable picnic for two.
Each basket includes Mixed Green Salad, Whole Fruit, Bacon-Blue Cheese Potato salad, Chilled Beef Tenderloin, Jumbo Prawns, a mini-wheel of Brie Cheese , Freshly Baked Bread with butter, Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries, two Mineral or Sparkling Waters, and a bottle of one of the following: Talbott Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
bathroom with whirlpool tub
All wicker picnic baskets contain condiments, silverware, two wine glasses, china plates, cloth napkins and a tablecloth.

Romantic Getaway - $150 for 2 people
Escape to your own romantic getaway and enjoy a customized picnic made for your special occassion.
Each basket includes Caesar Salad, Fruit Medley, one ounce of Osetra Caviar with Traditional Farnishes, Poached Dill Salmon Fillets, a mini-wheel of Brie Cheese and candied pecans, Freshly Baked Bread with butter, Chocolate dipped Strawberries, two mineral or sparkling waters, and a bottle of Schramsberg Champagne.

So imagine my envy at seeing this menu, when I thought I was really living it up on some Hamburger Helper, Pancake mix, Better Than Eggs, soy meat products, and some Breyer's Fried Ice Cream.
Living room and kitchen taken from a bad angle..
Oh! And we also got ingredients for S'mores and a whole pineapple and mango. And some trail mix and beef jerky for our hikes. So far, this has lasted us many, many days. But looking at these baskets just makes me feel like we're slumming it =(

I have to say, it's been ridiculously wonderful having absolutely nothing to do here. I open up my computer and see countless webpages up and ready to read on foreign policy, international job searches and a web project I have in mind. I have no idea how I managed to run on so many cylinders this entire year since I got back from Africa. It's really lovely just hanging out and watching movies and cooking and seeing the few sights available. I do regret having wasted an entire day trying to see Hearst Castle, but we did see elephant seals for a bit instead.

We decided to skip out on the whale watching and kayaking because it has been absolutely freezing the last 24 hours! We are scheduled to visit Carmel proper tomorrow before Kieran arrives and then heading out at 7am for Hearst Castle, Solvang/Buellton, and then back to LA we go!
Our fireplace!
Just getting in and trying to set …
Just getting in and trying to set…
bathroom with whirlpool tub
Living room and kitchen taken from…
Living room and kitchen taken fro…
View from our balcony