Hanging out with chinese ppl in San Jose

San Jose Travel Blog

Charles teaching me archery!
Ok, sure the title of this first entry sounds racist, it's just that except for my parents, I don't really know a lot of chinese people! Ever since high school, I've somehow been surrounded mostly by Korean and white people. I never really fit in with the chinese crowd, but this was really quite an experience.

Charles took me to a holiday party in Emeryville and I witnessed everything from Guerilla Twister (where I saw headbutting employed to knock people down) to Impossible Charades where you had to act out things from "to rationalize" to "synergistic"!! I had a lot of laughs. I was very successful however, acting out guessible versions of what were probably the two easiest words - Chewbacca and Amoeba.
Talking during my archery attempt
Probably wouldn't do it again, but one time was sure fun.

I flew into San Jose and my flight on Southwest was an hour late (of course), so we went to this yuppie chinese dinner party and spend the night in San Jose. The next morning, Charles took me to shoot arrows, so in an attempt to garner skills that would impress Legolas when I woo and marry him one day, I spent 15 minutes learning archery and then hunting for my quills as only 1 in 7 or so ended up hitting the target at 20 meters.

It's both not as easy as it looks and it's not as hard as you think. I think I would need a 20lb draw weight and a 54 inch bow length but I used Charles' which was a 29 lb draw weight and a 66 inch bow length, which is taller than I am!

Not terribly exciting, but I recorded a video of a woodpecker at the archery park that Charles and I were practicing at.
Charles teaching me archery!
I can't imagine what it's like to be celestially designed to smack a part of my body that is attached to my head against hard stuff in order to get at food or make my home. It just seems to silly! I would have some serious migrains! Can't they be equipped with special feet instead?? I mean - their head??

Then we arrived in Carmel after about 2 hours at close to 5pm. I did not know what to expect, but when I stepped into the lounge area of our hotel, I was confronted with a sight so beautiful I was stunned and I couldn't bear to stay there another second until I was mentally prepared to see such beauty again. The lounge area is on a hill and an entire 2 walls are seamless glass. It almost looks like a mural because of the size of objects, color and light are so surreal and breathtaking. I will try to capture it tomorrow in a picture, I'll cross my fingers that it'll convey well in a photo!

I try!
I try!
My left arm is sore from holding t…
My left arm is sore from holding …
San Jose