A slightly bigger night than I'd planned!

Bristol Travel Blog

I made a lightning quick trip home to see the clan on Friday, and dashed back on Saturday to meet my friend Lisa.  Lisa and I had booked a hotel in Bristol, and so I guess I should have anticipated a big night, but I was conning myself into believing I'd be sensible.  That lasted about three seconds after we headed out and I remembered that I really wanted to go to the Apple, which is a cider barge.

The Apple has a cider menu.  Really.  Proper, lovely, cider made of apples, and at least one that they will only serve in halves because it's so strong.  This was not the place to start a quiet evening.  The staff were lovely, Supergrass was on the juke box, and half a Rich's cider and Half a perry later, I figured it was time to head off.

us in the Apple
  That or give up on the concept of dinner and keep drinking till we fell off the stool.  Dinner won, but it was close!

Next, we went to Iguanas, which I think I've reviewed before.  Six plates of tapas and two cocktails later, we went back into the night.

Next stop is the Hatchet - the world's friendliest rock place.  Actually, it turns out my dad got very drunk here in the 1960s or 1970s and his mate wanted to leave and dad was deprived of the chance to impress some woman he was chasing - so if dad's mate had liked the Hatchet more, I may never have been born.  It plays rock on the stereo, and you will see some really interesting hair here, but the place is not scene-ey and you can go in here dressed like a business man or a nerd or a fashionista and the only way you won't be welcome is if you act like a twit.

in the Hatchet
  The bar staff are lovely.  The pub is quite old, and had pool tables upstairs when I was there, but sometimes has club nights instead.  Some of which are fun indie, and some of which are not.  We bumped into my friend Ben, who is going out with Katie, who has probably featured in some of my previous wittering entries, and his mate Justin, so that was really nice.  We had a lovely chat and me and Lisa then decided we would stop drinking beers, switch to spirits and cokes, and then we thought it must be about time to go to the Cooler.

Unfortunately, the Cooler was kind of quiet.  Well, I say unfortunately.  Like I'd know.  I had a small flirt with a perfectly charming bloke and wouldn't have cared.  Sometimes it's quite nice to get a bit of attention.

At two in the morning, I said good bye to charming bloke (and sorry to Lisa, who said she didn't mind and that I really hadn't ignored her at all) and went back to the totally amazing hotel we'd booked.  I tried to drink some water and fell sound asleep instead.

the tv in the bathroom!
the tv in the bathroom!
Bristol Hotels & Accommodations review
Hotel Mercure Brigstowe
This hotel is lovely. I could only afford it because of an internet deal, but if you can get it on the internet or have the sort of employer who does… read entire review
The Apple
The Apple is a bar on a barge, and all my friends call it the Cider Barge. Mostly because by the time we leave, we are struggling to remember things … read entire review
The Hatchet Rocks!
The Hatchet is the world's most friendly, least scene-ey, Rock pub. It is, conveniently enough, near the Carling Academy, but it was there first - it… read entire review
The Cooler - quite cool
The Cooler is about £4-5 in. It is an Indie club on Park Street, and I have been there quite a lot. The bar is about average priced, small, but wel… read entire review
Bristol