On the road again...

Manchester Travel Blog

fire window, cathedral
Unfortunately, in the Canned heat, "so tired of travelling but I'm out, and on the road again..." sense rather than the happy one.  I had to go to a conference in Manchester.  Well, had to is a bit strong.  I guess I wanted to too.  But I've been really run down recently, and so I wasn't feeling as keen as I normally would be.  Which is unusual, because as you know, I love Manchester nearly as much as I love Bristol.

I went up on the Sunday so I could spend some actual time there as well as just see the inside of the conference centre.  I have a good friend in Manchester - a few, actually - but I stayed a couple nights with Matt.  Sunday was a good day, actually; I made all my connections, the train was only a little late, and Matt came to the xstation and helped me cary my suitcase.
Holy Family
  Oh - the suitcase.  Sigh.  I used to go to Spain for a month with a 24 litre pack.  Now a week in Manchester takes a suitcase, laptop bag, and three pairs of shoes.  Sometimes you realise that you are the sort of person you used to take the piss out of.  I mean, hair straighteners.  Hair straighteners!!  Anyway.  Matt helped me back with the suitcase and I discovered that Manchester has riverside walks.  It was really pretty, up in Didsbury, the sun was shining, and it all boded well.

On Monday Matt went to work and I finished a spectacularly dull essay on boring things, and went off to the shops once it was done.  I needed some shoes for a wedding next week and it turned into a bit of a quest.
  After a lovely chat with a lady in a jewelry shop, resulting in one necklace but no shoes, I gave up and went to Urbis.  Urbis, which I've reviewed before, is a really cool museum and this timet here was a whole floor on the influence of Manga on culture, and Manchester street fashion.  It was ace.  And there was a nother bit about garndening in the city, which I really liked because I have room for a herb garden in my new flat.
See - the kind of person I used to tease.  Sigh.

Suitably refreshed, I went to Manchester Cathedral.  By Cathedral standards it's tiny.  But it is very nice.  The stained glass in particular is stunning, especiually the fire window. You don't really get the full effect here, but it's worth a trip if you're at the shops.
Urbis
  I liked the statue of the holy family, too; Mary looks exhausted, Joseph looks worried, and it's a really nice bit of art.

On tuesday I went to the hotel the conference had me booked into.  Holiday Inns are fine - souless, but clean, polite, and efficient.  Salford was not nice.  The Holiday Inn is the heart of an industrial estate and I got very lost looking for the post office so I could mail my essay.  On the plus side, I did stumble across Salford Lads' club, famous from a Smiths album.  People were taking photos outside but I didn't want to stop.

I went out to Dinner in the Northern Quarter in Troff with two other friends, of which more in a proper review.  It was a lovely night.

The conference was in GMEx - sorry, Manchester Central, and it is very nice as conference venues go.
  It was fine.  I drank too much in the evenings - not on expenses, before anyone asks!  In chain bars that were OK; the Living Room even had a pianist.  I enjoyed myself a lot.

Friday the conference ended and I mooched about in Manchester a bit more, feeling distracted.  It was good when Matt finished work, and we went for another walk and hung out by the river.  Today Virgin trains - bah! - pulled their usual trick, lost the driver, and I got home an hour late.  This is why my Carbon Footprint is still so high!
sarahelaine says:
I fear it's more about the lifestyle, actualy. At 19 I wore check shirts and vest tops for absolutely every occasion, and lived in a single pair of sneakers. Now I have a career, it means I have suits, hair straighteners, stilletto heels, and make up. All of which is surprisingly heavy. :(
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008
sylviandavid says:
I travel much weighter locally than long trips too... funny how much you can give up when the weight is carried on your back! Sylvia
Posted on: Jun 22, 2008
Piccadilly Gardens
Piccadilly Gardens
Theyre real!
They're real!
sometimes the sun does shine!
sometimes the sun does shine!
Manchester