I love I Am Kloot

Bristol Travel Blog

I am Kloot

When I got back from the Netherlands, I resolved not to let my lack of gig-going friends put me off seeing bands.  But I still chickened out of going alone until about a month ago, when, having listened to I Believe by I Am Kloot for the 6th time in a row, I thought, I should see this band live.  They were touring, it turned out, and playing Trinity in Bristol

Challenge one was to find Trinity, which is in the outskirts of Bristol (behind the Staples at the end of the M32, if you know the city) and challenge number two was to find somewhere to park the car, preferably with a better than 50% chance of it being there when I got back. Bristol is not an especially criminal city, but with any big town, I fret about leaving Little Orange Car all alone.

I am Kloot
  But that was sorted out, and I headed off to the venue.  Trinity does not look like a gig venue.  It is a community centre, when not hosting bands, and looks like one.  There were no signs or flyers and no touts (yay!), and the only clue it was even open were the two enormous bouncers stood outside.  I rather shyly handed over my ticket to the enormousest one, and went in.  It is actually a lovely little venue - clean (bright pink!) girl's toilets, which even had enough toilet paper and paper towels at the end of the gig (there may be readers from more civilised nations who don't understand how rare this is.  But I go to gigs with toilet paper hidden in my pockets routinely, and am amazed if there's anything to actually dry my hands with at all!) and a great bar.
I am Kloot

The bar has organic bottled real ale.  That's how good the bar is.  It also has lovely, lovely bar staff, which was great because I arrived far too early and had to stand on my own for an hour, so I chatted with them. They absolutely made the night for me.

The support act was called Ferraby Lionheart, and he was very nice.  He seemed so genuinely thrilled every time we clapped for him, so utterly touched we were listening, that it would be totally mean to say anything at all negative about him.  He also stopped frequently to tell us how much we were going to love I Am Kloot, and also to ask for his sound levels to be adjusted.  This was the first sign of the ongoing tech issues that would plague I am Kloot's whole set.

I am Kloot
  I think there may be a roadie in some trouble somewhere!  Ferraby Lionheart's stuff was not my normal taste, and that is as negative as I can bring myself to be about him - there was one song that I'm thinking about downloading, and he made a very nice noise.

I Am Kloot came on surprisingly quickly after Ferraby went off.  They were really, really brilliant, and the singer (Johnny Bramwell) managed to maintain a great sense of humour despite the fact he wasn't happy with his sound levels or tuning, and then his guitar fell over and had to be fixed, and then he couldn't get it to behave and had to borrow Ferraby Lionheart's guitar (see?  This is why you can't be mean about the support act!) for the rest of the set.  The music was gorgeous.  For those of you (that'll be most of you) who don't know the band at all, listen to Proof on Last FM or Facebook - it's one of their best known songs, and has the lovely Christopher Eccleston in the video.  They write really beautiful, heartfelt music and play it with enough energy not to be wet.  In fact, the rockier songs, like One Man Brawl, are really up tempo adn Johnny Bramwell looked genuinely rock bonkers playing them.  And slightly like a hobbit.  I think it was the hair.

I didn't hang out afterwards to get a signed poster or anything, although I would have liked to have said to Johnny that I lvoed the gig - he seemed so miserably grateful that we'd all stuck with them through the fixing the guitar and what he obviously viewed as a "chaotic" gig.  Actually, they gave the audience a round of applause, and it was a lovely, chatty audience who joked with the band throughout.  I was just really tired, and really aware of the long drive home (and, lets be honest, the four pints of orange juice swishing about in my poor tummy!).

I would definately recommend Trinity as a venue, despite the tech issues - which may have been the band's crew rather than the venue anyway.  Frankly, it's tiny and friendly enough where you barely need the amps anyway!  I also think absolutely everyone should give I Am Kloot a listen, if they like either Indie or singer songwriter stuff.  :)

Bristol