home again

Swindon Travel Blog

Flooded fields

the next morning I hauled myself out of bed, tried to pack, failed, and made it to the bus stop in time for my friend to be slightly late for work, and for me to be slightly late to meet a different friend, Allie, for lunch.  I was really tired, and my broken suitcase was really irritating me, so I was really happy when she knew a good place to have lunch quickly.  It's called Barbarito, and I think it's a chain but it's in Picadilly Gardens.  Barbarito is a bit like subways but for burritos, and if you're interested they have a beer license too - major one up on Subways! - but I had a coke, because I'd been out about five nights in a row and my body was just trying to give in.  It was a shame - Allie and I only had about an hour - but I'll probably see her in February so it was OK.

Birmingham international

I got on the train, and this time, no-one changed the platform.  I had to travel through Birmingham for my tickets but I have a feeling the train goes that way anyway.  The journey started out gorgeous - really pretty landscape, green hills and stone villages, and I remembered how much I love the North of England.  I'd travel so much here if the UK wasn't so silly expensive.  It's lovely.  If I have conferences here in the summer I'll take the car up.  Further south, the fields were all flooded where streams had burst.  I hadn't seen the news for a week so I didn't know there had been storms, so it was a bit of a surprise.  Now I'm back I know the Severn and Avon are both at major risk and more crops have been lost - it's been an awful year to be a farmer in the West Midlands.

flooded fields
  But when you're on a train, it's just strange looking.  You see strange things from the train anyway.  How do sofas and single shoes end up in woodlands?  What are all the radar stations doing?  Do you think those teenagers are aware the whole train can see them?  The train, and my creeping exhaustion, put me in one of those strange, contemplative moods where you aren't sure if you're depressed or as content as you've ever been in your whole life.  I got a taxi back to my house and crashed on the sofa.

So, Sarah, did you have an early night?  No, reader, I did not.  I necked a coffee and went back out to meet some friends in Swindon.  Because that is a sane way to behave.

My friend-from-work, Rhys, and a bunch of his friends, were going out in Swindon old town.  That's the slightly nicer bit on top of the hill, if you've ever been.  First, we went to Pizza Express, which I was happily surprised by.  I remembered it as a sort of more expensive and far slower version of pizza hut, but gosh, it was lovely.  Really good.  Really really nice.  I love it when I'm wrong about that sort of thing.  Then we went to Longs, and then, having decided that everyone is really lovely and that I loved everyone, various people suggested going dancing in Walkabout.  Which we did.  My hat got a lot of attention - far more than me! - and I came home, happy as a girl could be, with beer stains down my top, and sat up talking til 6am.

I have no common sense, but I had a great night.  :)

Sunflower300 says:
Sounds like you did have a great night. Great entry.
Posted on: Jan 24, 2008
Sweetski says:
Fabulously written as always Sarah. I devoured every word.
I could say you liking the slower pizza place is a sign of getting older, but 6 nights in a row out on the town... proves I'm wrong :) You go girl!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008