We're British. It's a bank holiday. Let's go to the Beach!

Weston Super Mare Travel Blog

Clevedon beach

After Lisa and I had visited her aunt for breakfast, she suggested we go out to Weston Super Mare for the Day.  That, I thought, is a good idea, so we went out to the M5.  Then it started to snow.  Sigh.

Of course, a little snow is not going to put me off.  Oh, no.  So we kept going South and the snow softened to rain, then hail, then drizzle.  First stop on the road trip was Clevedon, which for some reason won't come up on the maps so I've grouped it here.  Clevedon is quite small, and has a lovely little Victorian pier, a marine lake you could swim in in less chilly weather, and a nice stall with hot chocolate at it.  This time of year, that about covers it, but I'm sure that in summer there are loads of ice cream vans too.

clevedon bandstand
  I quite liked it.  It's the sort of place you can sit on the rocks and watch the waves.

Next stop was Weston Super Mare - Weston from now on, because I am too lazy to keep typing the super mare part, which only means on sea anyway.  Weston is a nice seaside town near Bristol.  The beach is huge, at least in winter, and there is a pier with the sort of penny fall machines and donuts that make a trip to the seaside possible in bad weather.  We walked along the seaside getting lashed by the wind, got a lovely fish and chips dinner in a cafe called Winstons, and got hailed on.  You may be slightly surprised to learn that I had a thoroughly great time there, but it was lovely.

All the sea air left us very sleepy, so when we went home, we pretty much went to sleep!

weston beach