Oops. In which I do it again.

London Travel Blog

environmental pledge tree

** photos to follow, although unfortunately, none of me in my snazzy train-toilet-assembled ball outfit!

Regular readers may recall that I managed to agree to see a Mark ROnson gig in the South West of England finishing midnight the night before a wedding I had to be in in Edinburgh, a mere 500 miles away.  Folks, I just don't learn.

This time, I promised to go with my friend Caroline, to see the Ben and Jerry's festival in South London, finishing at 8pm, the same day as I had bought a very expensive ball ticket for my degree course ball, in Birmingham, starting at 7.30pm, three hours away.  This was even more impossible than last time.

me
  I'd actually rather have gone to Ben and Jerry's; I wasn't really in a ball frame of mind.  But then, the ticket was non-refundable and too expensive to dump.  The only answer was to leave B&J three hours early and get to the ball an hour late.  (For those of you querying the maths, I left B&J at 5pm, got to Paddington at 6pm, and the train took two hours, then I had to get a cab.  Birmingham is only theoretically near London, especially on weekends!).  And I pulled it off, but it was the most sober ball of my life...

I got to Ben and Jerry's without incident, although we did miss the first band because I was so busy trying to teach Caroline how to use the Tube that I got confused, and then we started talking to this lady, adn the sheer shock of a Londoner talking to me on the tube made me forget to get off in Stockwell to change lines, and then.

me again
.. well, you know the Northern Line is about as unreliable as they come, right?  So it took a while.

Ben and Jerry's is one of my fave festivals, though, because you can eat all the free icecream you can be bothered to queue for.  It's great, laid back, people talk to each other, there's not much alcohol because people are there in the daytime and eating their own weight in icecream...

Brightlights were OK, but nothing special.  Then we watched FLorence and the Machine who were just amazing.  I hadn't heard much of their stuff, but I think I have to get the album.  Loads of fun, skipping all over the stage, brilliant.   I skipped Charlotte Hatherley because Caroline wanted some Pims, I wanted to go on the helterskelter, and it was suddenly very important to win a frisbee from teh RSPCA.

classy!
  I bought some rechargeable batteries, too, and helped do some sticking and gluing at the community mosaic bit.  Then we watched Delays, who I really enjoyed too.  Sunny sort of festival music.

It was with a heavy heart that I left, because I really would have liked to see Guillemots.  I saw them once in Bristol and couldn't believe that I was leaving to go to a ball.  Sigh.

Well, Cinders, stop whining, I said.  I did the full cinderella bit in the train toilet, and emerged wearing a black evening dress (30 Euros in the sales in Utrecht, thank you travel bug!) with a suitable amount of eyeliner and my masquerade mask doign service as a rather fetching hairband.  Rock and Roll.

The ball was at the university of Birmingham, and, to tell the truth, I had an amazing time.  It was great.  Actually worth missing the Guillemots.  But I had had too much sun and the first sip of alcohol made me feel very, very queezy, so I had to drink water all night.  This meant that I woke up feeling unexpectedly amazing, ready to enjoy a morning in Birmingham again...

Florence and the machine