Motorways; my musings - and what on earth is that big man thing?

Taunton Travel Blog

Motorways are much maligned.  They are hellish, yes, but the alternative is you, me, and every truck in England crashing through people's villages, because I can't afford the trains.  Really, I can't.  And today I got to do my favorite motorway journey in the UK; going from Bristol to Taunton on the M5.  Unfortunately, this means facing two of the most daunting junctions (intersections) in the UK.  SOmeone decided that it would be a great idea to have the M4 and M5 merge for both directions within about 100 yards of the demerge for the busiest section of the Bristol commuter network, in opposite directions.  On the way south, this means stationary traffic.  On the way North, this involves barging across three lanes of traffic, whilst still going about 70 miles an hour, merging three lanes into one and then almost instantly back out into two, and in my case, having a little cry.

But I think it's worth it, because the road to Taunton has many landmarks that I can't show you (because of the whole driving at 75 miles an hour singing to the radio thing - if I took a photo, and didn't crash the car and die, then I think they would take my driving license away!) that I am curious about.  I would be grateful for info and explanations.

1) why is there a dinosaur in that field?  You can only see him northbound, and he's quite a small model t-rex.

2) what is that giant man thing with the tiny head?  He's sort of waving his arms and bestriding the land like a badly made collosus.  Or maybe defending that retail park?  Why is he there?

There are also a great number of skippy lambs and cute calves, at the moment, and some very nice hills.  But you could see them from the train.

sarahelaine says:
fair enough - thanks!
Posted on: Mar 09, 2008
wanderinwurzel says:
he's the wickerman of course, when he;s not being burnt down ;) our answer to the angel of the north haha
Posted on: Mar 06, 2008
sarahelaine says:
well, the south west isn't toooo bad for that! Actually, by the time you get to Cornwall you run out of freeway. But I still think that the freeways are better than running all the trucks through tiny villages. It means that the McDonalds are concentrated somewhere you can avoid them!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2008