Lisa's house

Melton Mowbray Travel Blog

the world famous pork pie shop.

I spent the whole of the lovely warm weather on Saturday carrying boxes out to my car – my friend and old landlady Teresa is putting me up while I sort out something more permanent out.  So on Saturday night, I went out to the pictures with my friend Kate, talked about a million miles an hour to her about how stressed out I was and how much weight I’d lost and (once I’d drank about a bottle of red wine to myself) everyone I’d ever fancied til 4am.  Then I remembered I had to drive to Melton Mowbray in the morning.  Sigh…

On Sunday, having scrambled to find a house, and spent the glorious weather on Saturday indoors lugging boxes about, I made my weary way to Lisa's house on my way North to Manchester.

the UK's oldest purpose built pub
  Lisa lives in Melton Mowbray.  Yes, that is where the pies come from.  I was really stressed out, and it is a tribute to Lisa and my friendship that she coped so well with me walking into her house talking about how pissed off I was and not actually drawing breath for about half an hour.  Lisa knew the best way to cope with this, of course, and we found a beer garden and had a cider.  This is not normally possible in February, but it is really weirdly warm.  After that, she made spaghetti bolognese and we went bowling with her sister, sister's boyfriend, and Lisa's bofriend.  I am stunningly bad at bowling, but managed not to totally humilate myself, which is always nice.

Monday.

The weather was carrying on amazing, really beautiful and genuinely warm.  Not even just warm for February.  Actually warm.

Melton
  This probably means that the collapse of civilisation is imminent, but it was pretty lovely, so I shan't complain.  And Melton is a funny place.  For some reason, I never remember how pretty it is.  If you were to ask me about it, I'd say, oh, I had an amazing night out there once in a really sticky night club, and it's dead handy for Nottingham.  But when I post the photos, you'll be able to see that it is actually a really, really attractive town.  Apparently, the Anne of Cleves is the oldest purpose built pub in the UK.  We had lunch in the Harboro Hotel, where they have the most extensive range of fruit wines I'd seen for ages, and an amazing number of specialty beers.  The burger was excellent.  If you find yourself in the area, you should definately go.   Unfortunately, I was driving to Manchester, and so did not partake of any of the wine.

the world famous pork pie shop.
the UKs oldest purpose built pub
the UK's oldest purpose built pub