Fisherman's Retreat

Ramsbottom Travel Blog

On Friday I was pretty much over my hangover and the random pub quiz, and Allie suggested that we go to her favourite restaurant in the world, the Fisherman’s Retreat in the hills above Ramsbottom.

It was absolutely amazing.  Totally amazing.  Really laid back, really really good food, amazing setting… I will write you a proper review, but if you are in the area, you should totally go.  One word of warning, though.  I had to drive.  There’s a bar full of real ale and 500 malt whiskies.  Not drinking is torture.  Make sure you agree the designated driver in advance because there’s no transport up the hill and you will need to bribe them heavily.

Then we went for a bit of a drive; sunset was nearly on us but I really wanted to have a look around.  Unfortunately, we managed to get ourselves tangled in the suburbs of Rochdale and didn’t see much of the hills.  Having said that, we stopped in Heaton Park on the way back and it was very nice.  The picture marked “Bury” is actually in Heaton Park ��" it’s the façade of the town hall that was moved there for some reason.

Ramsbottom Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Fisherman’s Retreat is high in the hills behind Ramsbottom, up a rough farm track (so watch out for oncoming jeeps). It serves really good food, ex… read entire review
photo by: sarahelaine