Brizzle

Bristol Travel Blog

Bar in Thekla upstairs

I was trying to work on a paper and failing miserably, when my friend Emma who lives in Bristol called to say that she was going out that night, and would I like to come?  I love going out in Bristol, so I jumped at the chance.  We went out to Thekla, which I will do a review of at some point.  But in brief, Thekla is a boat with a bar/nightclub/gig venue on board and a large Banksy graffiti on the hull.  It really doesn't get any cooler than that.  The music was good - not very easy to dance to but as everybody was either recovering from New Year or recovering from a horrid cold, we were more into chatting anyway.  Apparently there was sort of more hard, dance music in the club part downstairs, but we were happy.  One of the things I really like about Bristol is how laid back the nights are, and how little sense of a "scene" there is - emo kids and tatooed rockers and geeks like me and indie kids all dance like loonies and it's all very friendly.  Emma fairly often knows the DJ at nights like that too.  I had a brilliant night, and we headed off fairly early - about 1am - when we were still wide awake and having fun.

As a PS, it was thekla that I saw the maccabees play, so there are more photos of it later in the Blog.

Me