Bradford on Avon - pretty, but not as pretty as it thinks it is!

Bradford on Avon Travel Blog

swan hotel

Bradford on Avon was a place that I'd heard a lot about.  Apparently, it is about the prettiest place in Wiltshire.  I can confirm that it is very picturesque, but actually, not all that.  Bradford on Avon, is, in fact, the rich girl in your high school class.  You remember her, right? You thought she was gorgweous, and she dressed really well - but when you looked back at the photos, she wasn't actually as pretty as the nice kid who was good at science.  What she really excelled at - what Bradford on Avon excells at - is marketing.

Now, don't get me wrong.  Bradford is nice.  The golden stone common to the area gives the town a lovely glow, and the avon itself wends through the village.

pretty building
  The saxon church, unfortunately shut when I was there, looks really pretty.  There were lilac-like flowers climbing up the walls of several of the buildings, and rambling roses.  Somehow, though, it didn't feel as warm as the rest of Wiltshire.  Wiltshire is a county of stunning towns and gorgsous villages, winding streams, and happy looking sheep.  Bradford would have to try harder to win my heart.  And it doesn't.  The shops were too expensive for anything other than a rich tourist, which I am not (not rich, anyway.  Tourist I can admit to), begging the question of where the locals were.  The pubs gave off a general air of unwelcomingness - unlike bath, which is nearby and despite its obvious picturesqueness and wealth manages to be friendly. I was very grateful that the first two hours of parking was free, to tell the truth; it wasn't a place where I felt moved to sit and drink coffee in a cafe.  I should have stayed in Devizes, really!

On a more positive note, Bradford is pretty enough if you are in the area, has a large tourist information office, and the church looks lovely.  There is also a very nice fish and chip shop near the station.  It is called Staion Place fish and chips, I think; thus missing the obvious traditional Station Plaice joke, which is probably quite a classy ommission!

toll booth on bridge