Back in the Bullring

Birmingham Travel Blog

Narrow Boats behind the Mailbox

Well, I had this whole morning, and a guilty conscience owing to no birthday present for my sister.  And this month, it is not the week before I am paid, it is the week after.  Shopping it was.

I toddled off to the Bullring to go shopping, and mission accomplished, I treated myself to one of the real joys in teh world, and a hard one to achieve in teh UK; the long lunch.

Long Lunch occured at the Mailbox, behind which there are some nice restaurants on the canal.  I went to The Oriental, whihc does nice generic asian food.  Long Lunch is increasingly hard to achieve in the UK, as we have absorbed an inappopriate degree of hurry whilst eating, which is bad.  The service at the restaurant was eratic and slow, which made it easy to spend two hours eating luch, nursing a half pint of cobra and watching the geese.  And I am really not being sarcastic.  It is wonderful to be able to take your time, without some random, over enthusuiastic soul leaping up and saying "is everything alright!" as if it's a statement and removing your plate before you've quite got the last lettuce leaf into your mouth.  I read a whole copy of Cosmopolitan, watched a great many geese and some narrow boats, and soaked up the shade (I was quite sunburned enough already! :( ).  Then I got the train home again.

homeres says:
its hard to 'enjoy' a long lunch even here in the states unless you have a laid back town like my hometown of Milwaukee
sarahelaine says:
Thank you - which bit wow?
homeres says: