Clothing Optional

Florianopolis Travel Blog

Praia Mole

Florianopolis has been one of my favorite cities that I have ever visited in my life. It is absolutely breathtaking. The numerous views of the city are spectacular! During my tenure in Floripa, as the Brazilians call it, I thoroughly enjoyed relaxing on the magnificent beaches. Accordingly, it is only appropriate that I had one of the most interesting moments at the beach.

It started off as a normal, pleasant day. The sun was shining and there was a nice breeze from the ocean. Since we did not have adequate transportation in Florianopolis, I decided to walk to the beach. My walk started very quietly. However towards the middle of the hour walk to Praia Mole, cars started honking at me. Most of these cars just whizzed past me.

Praia Mole
However one car started to slow down and continued to drive along beside me.

Finally, the driver stuck his head out and shouted “Don’t worry, I’m not a weirdo. I’m an American as well and you look like you need a ride.” I stopped and looked at him hesitantly. He noticed my apprehension and continued to talk.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I just noticed that you seem to walking towards Praia Mole and that’s where we’re going too.”

He pointed to a man sitting in the passenger side of the car. I looked at the other man and he waved and smiled at me.

“If it makes you feel better, you can hold on to my wallet and my cell phone as collateral that I’m not going to hurt you.” The driver replied. I looked at them once more, prayed to God I wasn’t making a huge mistake, and got in the car.

Lagoa de Conceicao

After making small talk, I found out that the driver’s name was Diego and that he was from Miami. He was a graduate of the University of Miami. He met his partner, Alexandre the passenger in the car, on a Caribbean cruise three years ago and thus came to Brazil this summer to visit his partner’s family. Diego and Alex told me about all the wonderful beaches of Floripa and told me that they were going to take me to some of the lesser known beaches that were by Praia Mole. I was excited at hearing them tell me this. In Buenos Aires, some of my best memories were going to unknown/less touristy places with the Porteños. Consequently, I thought that I would have a similar experience with Diego and Alex.

We pulled up to a field like parking lot and got out. We grabbed our stuff and started walking. I was confused because it looked like we were going hiking instead of to the beach. I didn’t see any water or sand. I started to worry and asked what was going on. Diego responded that we had to walk to get to this special beach. I shrugged and followed. Finally we got to the beach and I saw a sight that I truly will not forget.

I looked up and saw a breathtaking view of the beach. The waves were rolling in and there were hills and cliffs next to the beach. This is beautiful! I thought to myself. Then, my thoughts were interrupted by a naked man walking in front of me. I looked to my left and there were two other people, a man and woman that were naked as well. Suddenly, I realized where I was.

“Are we at a nude beach?” I asked in disbelief.

“We sure are!” exclaimed Diego. After hearing that, I felt like I was going to pass out. I could not believe this.

“Hannah are you okay? You look a little pale,” said Alex. I nodded that I was okay and continued to follow them.

“You get used to it after a while. It’s really not so bad. I kinda feel like I’m back in Miami,” joked Diego. “Have you never been to a nude beach?”

I shook my head vehemently. “Diego, I work in a hospital and I’m comfortable with nudity, I guess I just didn’t think that ‘special’ beach meant nude.” I replied back.

“It’s very Brazilian though, you know,” said Diego. “They have this care free attitude about nudity. You don’t have to be a model like Gisele to be comfortable with your body.”

I thought about Diego’s words and I started to recall some of the sights I had seen since I had been in Brazil. It was true, Brazilians had a carefree attitude about their bodies. I had seen many women walk around in short skirts, small tops and skimpy bikinis. I had also watched many commercials and shows on TV that showed partial or full nudity. This was amazing to me. This type of brazen behavior would be highly scandalous and controversial in the United States. Even today, only a small number of cable television shows will show partial nudity. However in Brazil, the regular program shows showed whatever they wanted to. I realized that nudity was really not a big deal.

“I wonder how they can all be so comfortable with their bodies. Aren’t they self-conscience?” I asked Diego and Alex.

“Well we’re all humans and the human body is something that is beautiful and marvelous,” replied Alex. “Here in Brazil, we are not ashamed to show our bodies. We all have different types of bodies and we should take the time to appreciate each other in our truest forms.”

Alex’s words sunk in with me and I started to mellow out. I relaxed and enjoyed the rest of my day with Diego, Alex and their friends. I had a great time and was thankful for the unique opportunity. I wouldn’t say that I’m a nude beach enthusiast now. However I can say that my adventure with Diego and Alex makes me understand and appreciate people who are secure and comfortable with their bodies.

250 km (155 miles) traveled