Happy New Year!

Punta del Este Travel Blog

Moby Dick ready for the party

I had to visit Bikini Beach again.

Yesterday, I kind of just walked around a bit and felt pretty out of place.

Today, I felt like I knew the ropes a bit more.  I arrived a little early and found a nice spot in the corner of the bar, under the canopy (out of the blazing sun), with a nice view of the beach (and of the models doing some kind of photo shoot next to me).  Promise - that was sheer coincidence.

I had a nice lunch, a beer, and did a little reading.  My book, incidentally, is called Aquariums of Pyongyang - a true story about a young boy in a concentration camp in North Korea in the 1980s.  I found it almost unsettling to be reading about this boy's hardship while I'm sitting in this land of rich, beautiful people.

Birthday Boy
  Needless to say, it was also hard to get reading done with all the distraction of music and people.

I headed back on the bus a bit early, wanting to make sure I had adequate primp time for my new year's eve.  Oh, yes, I had prepaid $130 for my reservation at Moby Dick for New Years Eve dinner/drinks.

I put on my new yellow fancy shirt and walked down to El Puerto.  I watched the final 2007 sunset along with hundreds of other people.  We all applauded when the sun disappeared.

Then I headed to Moby Dick around 9pm.  Pretty early.  I was the first one.  But wow they had the place set up - live band on the outdoor patio and huge speakers in the bar pointing out toward the street.

As people trickled in, I met Rob, Rob, and Josh.

Mario the bartender
  They didn't actually pay the $130 but managed to sneak in.  Damn!  It was Josh's birthday too.  So after I ate my dinner, we did a birthday shot of whiskey with Josh.  Ugh.  We reminded each other to pace ourselves.  It was only 11pm - and we had (literally) all night ahead of us.   We enjoyed the band - who played excellent covers of Police songs.  We joked that maybe it actually was Sting singing - it was that good.

At midnight, the celebration was pretty phenomenal.  We went outside to watch the fireworks all across the crescent shaped La Mansa beach....and also right in front of us in the parking lot!  Even Josh took a turn swirling a sparkler.

The night was crazy.  Music blared through the speakers and we were dancing on the sidewalk outside the bar - and then later inside the bar.

Dan and Lucia
  I was hanging out with Rob, Rob, and Josh - and then later waitresses Andrea and Lucia.

My friend (and waitress) Valeria wasn't working that night.  At one point I saw her in the crowd, but couldn't get to her - and then I lost her.  Bummer.  That was the last I saw of her.  I'm hoping somehow to get back in touch with her as we had become friends to some degree after our coincidental lunch meeting.  I hope she is doing ok.

The night sped by and I wish I could relive it.  Very fun.  Thanks to the gang at Moby Dick for making me feel welcome.

Punta del Este