First Real Day of Paradise

Punta del Este Travel Blog

La Mansa at sunset

I spent today meandering around PDE.  Mostly on the beach, but also on the streets.  There is great shopping here.  Well, by "great" I mean high end -- Fendi, Louis Vuitton, etc.  Not necessarily my places.  Ok, definitely not my places.  However, as you'll read later, I do venture in and buy a few items.  Looking at some of the facades, it would be easy to picture myself on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, or maybe 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica.

In the early evening, I visited my friends Rocio y Felipe again.  I sipped a coffee from Mia Sushi while overlooking the beach.  Doesn't get much better than this.

Then I headed back down to El Puerto.  I watched the sunset at the very end of the Point.

La Mansa at mid afternoon
  Apparently this is "the thing to do" - a lot of people were down there.  (As I find out later, the daily routine is to walk along the boardwalk from La Mansa beach down through El Puerto and to the Point.  Maybe even do it a couple of times to make sure you are noticed.  Then hang down at the Point and watch the sunset with your gal or guy.  Some people also just drive down and park.  Depends on what kind of car you drive, perhaps.)  As for me, well I just sat solo and enjoyed the view.

By the way, the houses down in this southern tip of PDE are amazing.  Again, am I in Beverly Hills (or maybe Newport Beach, rather) or Uruguay?

After sunset, I tried to find a dinner place.  The difficulty was not in number of locations or in availability, but rather in my head.  I just couldn´t make up my mind.  So I went back to Moby Dick for a simple sandwich and another big night.  Lucia, from behind the bar, remembered me, so that was nice.  As did Valeria.  I also chatted with Mayra, who was headed back to Brazil tomorrow.  But she was nice enough to entertain me for a bit so I wasn't just standing solo.  Mario, Marcos, and Santi behind the bar were also good to me.

Leaving the bar and walking back to the hotel around 4am (I was tired!), I was amazed to see the streets along the beach were just packed with people.  Where did they all come from?

My conclusion for today:  the people here are really friendly (especially the staff at Moby Dick).  It´s easy to meet people, which is comforting since I´ve been travelling alone for a few days.  Not as many people speak English as I would have expected ... but that´s ok because I´m trying to practice my spanish too.  And thankfully most people are patient with me - in fact, we sometimes help each other as they want to practice English as much as I want to practice espanol.

Punta del Este