Welcome to the Cessna Caravan

Drake Travel Blog

Phew
I was beginning to worry.  I'm thinking about my best/worst things about Costa Rica and was considering adding in Granada as best place visited.  However, Corcovado National Park has come to the rescue.

Have Propeller, Will Travel
And I was excited by the prospect of getting there.  My Mum and Dad like to regale all-comers with the story of me crapping myself (clearly, I paraphrase) going to the Isles of Scilly in a helicopter when I was eight or so.  Hence, my first journey in a small air vehicle since adulthood was a momentous event, and it didn't let me down.  I got to sit behind the pilot and everything.  Weird stuff about little planes:

1. You can see where you're going, not where you have been, or the places next to where you are going, but the actual direction.  Sometimes you wish you couldn't, like when coming into land.

2. It's all a bit more wobbly (see coming into land comment).  One can see the plane being thrown about a bit in turbulence.  I guess it must be like being The Red Baron.

3. Pilots look a little bit bored.  I suppose because all the passengers can see you, one isn't allowed a quick sleep.

4. The dashboard lights have worrying words on them like "malfunction", "warning" and "failure".  It really isn't very assuring.

Still some of the sites when flying at cloud level are fabulous.  It made me realise how infrequently the whole countryside from shore to volcano top is seen.
Go on, gimme a go...