Wall-to-Wall Hippies

San Pedro La Laguna Travel Blog

Romanesque

Firstly, ask yourself what you like. If the answer to that question is lounging around all day in cheap eateries, bars and hostels, acquiring the local weed and being decadent Romans in a modern day colonial outpost, then this place is a must.  If you want local culture, there are a number of better places to be on the shores of Lago de Atitlan.

The Place

To say San Pedro is used to tourists is clearly an understatement.  Locals meet allcomers off the boat and try and coax you into their places, which is fine they are just doing a job.  However, I don't really like being followed for 2 miles whilst trying to find a place.  And that really isn't all that hard to do - foreign owned businesses are everywhere you look offering everything from Asian cuisine to bongs.

The local launderette
It is a little corner of the West providing the headshop versions of Eastern life to rich Western folk like me.  Sometimes this is a good thing as it can make a nice break to be around familiar things, or things that are ones own expression of what "foreign" is.  At other times, it can make one wonder what the purpose is of being 6,000 miles from home in order to get a Canadian chef's version of Padh Thai.

I doubt I could have stayed longer than the two days I spent there - it was enough and acted as a little break, but I really don't understand how anyone could wish to spend weeks or months loitering in San Pedro.  Each to their own!

Oh yeah, accommodation.  My wanderings found me bumping into someone I met on Ometepe and sharing a room.  So, it was £1 per day in a Guatemalan owned place that was inbetween a place drying out rotting coffee husks on one side and an abbatoir on the other.  And it was run by a 10 year old with a cloth cap.  He looked liked a mix between a young version of the Captain frm the original Starsky and Hutch and a farmer.  Go figure.