Surfers' (Add Favoured Religious Pilgrammage Site Here)

Dominical Travel Blog

Adios Uvita, Bienvenidos Dominical
OK, I've been avoiding here for a reason.  I met a bloke in Jacó who had learned to surf in Dominical and he scared the bejesus out of me.  I really wish I hadn't met him.  Dominical is great, much smaller than Jacó and Tamarindo and none of the attendent saucy industry.  I think there is a reason for this - the beach is unswimmable.  It has a very strong rip-tide and throws rocks onto the shore the size of your fist.  It is quite good fun to watch surfers at high tide - they wait for the sea to draw back, then take a running jump as it comes back in, leaping over the break and landing on their boards.
Welcome to the Gulag

Note for crap surfers (like me) - the best time is about 3 hours off high tide for about an hour and a half.  The paddle out isn't too bad and huge monster waves don't rear up out of nowhere.   But hitting a wave here is truly fabulous - it is worth the battering.

Little, but with heart
Sprawling metropolis it aint, Dominical is just a couple of streets at the moment (although it won't be in two years).  Sadly, a lot of the businesses seem American owned - I say that because it would be nice to have some ticos running more places.  That said, my hostel was Tico run and... more later.

The thing there is no shortage of is stuff to do with surfing - perhaps not surprising, I think it is really the only reason people come here.
View off the balcony
  That however is a shame, as it is tucked into some of Costa Rica's most beautiful coastline.  Someone is going to make some money here opening a tour operation soon.

It has a few nice places to eat and quite a few places to stay, although in the week it seems a little dead - which really isn't a problem for me.  One thing that is occuring is a number of main road developments - shopping centres and larger hotels a little out of town.  That is why I think it is going to expand exponentially soon.  If you like small, go now.  Otherwise wait a few years and all the strip joints you could ever wish for will be here.

Dominical Backpackers Hostel
A review of the actual place is attached, but the experience needs its own section.
OK, there was one other guest
  I got off the bus at the main road and walked down the main street.  I saw a few places, but then espied a sign that advertised the above.  "My sort of place," thought I.  The road branched right towards the beach - it was getting better - then forked back towards the river with surf crashing to my left.  Most excellent.  Then I arrived and it is utterly run down and decrepit - the photo really is flattering.  I really is a dump and frankly not worth $10 a night except, it was mine.  Unlike the Tucan Hotel, it had no pretensions, it was next to the beach and it had a (dodgy) balcony.

I have also never had the experience of staying alone in a hostel for 20 people before.  Yes, there was some pretty young thing from Brighton there when I arrived, but she just slept (or hid) and was gone the next day.  It was a bit eerie - the hostel equivalent of The Shining.  Still, I was only sleeping there, so who cared?  All that remained was to hire a board (a mere $20 per day oh Tucan Hotel), buy a six pack of Bavaria with no frowns and enjoy the sun.  Bliss.
Dominical Hostels review
Frankly, a bit of a dump. And an insecure one at that. Its location is superb, a literal stones throw from one of Costa Rica's prime surfing beaches… read entire review
Dominical Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Just a hundred metres or so down from the beautiful old hostel is Tortilla Flats, an American owned restaurant and cabina set up. It has an open bar … read entire review
Dominical