Saprissa (Costa Rica) 1 - 0 Victoria (Honduras)

San Jose Travel Blog

The Ciros Bar comes up trumps again.

This is my first bar experience of Central American football and it was fun.  The score could quite easily of been 4-1 (and writing this after 6 Imperials is not as easy as I thought it might be...)

The game wasn´t quite what I expected.  The competition was something akin to the Champions League, but for this part of the world.  It was like watching Charlton versus Sheffield Utd.  Both teams had a decent enough skill level, but there wasn´t really the flair I expected.  The best player by far was Saprissa´s Walter Centeno. Despite his Christian name, this guy has some quality. He´d easily slip into a Everton or Villa team and can play on the right or centre of midfield.  That said, they managed well enough without him when he went for a piss on 68 minutes.  The game was crying out for someone in the centre of midfield to simply put their foot on the ball and just pass the damn thing.

The main differences from UK football was the propensity to run with the ball.  Against common conceptions, the ball was regularly played long into channels, but when somebody picked up the ball, they´d have a go.  It made for an real end-to-end game with a lot of mistakes.  The goal was as spectacular a volley as you´ll see from 3 yards out.

However, what really made it for me was the commentary.  I had no idea what was said for the full ninety minutes. The Stuart Hall of Costa Rica spouted rapìd-fire Spanish all game (and I really mean all game - 100 miles per hour), with the requisite "GGGGooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" upon scoring.  The local fans were all very excitable too.  Yet, I think I´ll make my team Brujas.  Saprissa are the Manchester Utd of Costa Rican football and hence cannot possibly be supported. I just need to make sure I don´t wear a top in the bar...

Victoria´s number 7 was huge. According to Wikipedia, his name is Raul Alejandro Naif.  He hit the bar and was substituted in the 86th minute. Make of that what you will.
dougal says:
You are quite wrong - Sheffield United have no skill to speak of...
Posted on: Sep 27, 2006