It's Just Another Number

Drake Travel Blog

Welcome to the Latter Half of the Thirties
As well as being the day Jeffery Dahlmer was convicted for his heinous crimes, February 17th marks my day of birth and 1971 seems a long time ago.  I chose to spend it visiting la Isla de Caño which is about twenty clicks off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.  Bloody gorgeous it is too.

It is a small island (3km by 2km) covered in lush tropical vegetation and theorised to be the burial group of imporant people from the Diquis culture.  In the 21st Century, it sports some decent snorkelling and makes a nice spot to have some lunch.  So it was back onto a lancha and out into the blue.

Corrientes Fuertes
Now, the sea around here is actually a bit dangerous.
Another dour sunset
   The underwater drag is noticeable, so what usually happens is the boat drops you off and lets you just go with the flow for 45 minutes, then comes and picks you up later on.  However, that is a bit difficult if the engine won't start.  So, after marvelling at a range of fish English people usually see in aquaria, we actually got picked up by some geezer I'd never seen before making motions like pulling an imaginary string from an engine.  Luckily our guide was able to translate and we got dumped onto a beach as they sent for another boat.

All it really meant was I got an early lunch.

Real Marine Life
After a fine lunch and a bit of a rest watching swarms of hermit crabs, it was back for a snorkel and what turned out to be the main event of the day.
View from a hammock
  It was getting a bit black over Pedro's mothers as we winded our way back towards the mainland.  Then the engine stopped, but rather than a more serious motion problem, the reason soon became apparent on the starboard side: the elegant tail of a Humpback Whale broke the surface of the water 200 metres away.  I've seen smaller whales before, but seeing something of such size in the water was an altogether different experience.  Then the eponymous hump showed itself as well as some spray being ejected from the whale´s spout.

It was quite entrancing. Then, just as we thought it had gone, something shot past the port side.  It was moving quickly and it was only when it surfaced that we realised it was a Dolphin.  Man, those things can shift.  It is also supposed to be a load of old crap about them having an affinity with humans - they're actually quite dangerous.

Let Me Eat Cake
I therefore thank the relevant deity (Poseidon I guess) for my twin birthday presents.  We returned to shore by three, so I spent the rest of the afternoon lolling about in a hammock listening to music and then watching a particularly fabulous sunset, Imperial in hand.

Before dinner, I switched to wine and then engaged the teenage lad of the French family who had adopted me in a game of chess.  We got halfway through when the dinner conch shell unexpectedly sounded.  A party of Joséfinos had descended on camp, taking up all available space.  They had come out on a Whale-Watching tour and were hearily sick of the fact I'd seen one.

It also meant that I had a much larger audience than I would ever want to witness the embarrassment of my birthday cake.  Gah, where are proper Spanish language skills when I need 'em?

All in all, a jolly day indeed.  All birthdays should be this much fun.
twilk76 says:
American dolphins are loud and annoying. And cuddly.
Posted on: Dec 09, 2009
mrmoore says:
Australian dolphins ARE friendly. And cuddly.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2007