Culture shock!

San Jose Travel Blog

Perhaps I should have mentioned ramshackle cities alongside those verdent forests?

I arrived in San Jose after a marathon journey spanning two European capitals: London & Madrid (more of which I´ll post under the review bit at some point). Having only 4 hours fitful sleep in two days, it was all a bit overwhelming.  The roads are awe-inspiring.  On the way to the offices where I´m working, I saw a middle lane shunt, repleat with histrionic latinos and armed Police, Christian scooterists looking for a short cut to the afterlife and an American style Mack truck which has disgorged its load of planks across the side of the road.

First impressions were: 1. Brand names that hadn´t been updated since the 80´s, 2. Earthquake zone buildings mugging the few bits of Colonial architecture that are about and; 3. All of it looking a bit like what I remember of Yogakarta.

You´ll be pleased to know I already have a local.  The Ciros Bar serves all manner of deep fried snackery and the local brew: "Imperial".  For the Sheffheads who like to talk bus prices, my ride into town cost 15p.

Later Droogs.

Jc22ny says:
Thats San Jose alright!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2008
stevenguyen says:
haha tell me about it...
Posted on: Sep 03, 2006
Higton says:
Sadly not at the moment - however, I am working on an update. It will be there soon...
Posted on: Aug 03, 2006