Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

Minneapolis Travel Blog

Spoon Bridge - Claes Oldenburg

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden  (MSG) is located near the Walker Art Center and is known as the permanent home for Claes Oldenburg's famous sculpture "Spoon Bridge" - a ginormous spoon holding a cherry in its bowl and residing over a small pond.

The Sculpture Garden is free to the public, but parking in the lot is $3.50 for a full 24 hours - not a bad deal.

I wandered around the impeccably designed and cared for garden for about 2 plus hours with a bit of a heavy heart. My grandmother had passed on earlier this morning and I was alone. With no family nearby to lean on for emotional comfort I decided to continue with my original plans and experience local art culture. My grandmother would have wanted it that way and it was this beautiful garden that helped me find a little bit of peace today.

Henry Moore - Mother and child

What I love about sculpture, at least the sculpture found in an outdoor park, is the ability to interact with it. Unlike a painting and drawing, you can reach out and touch a piece of sculpture. You can trace your fingers over preserved fingerprints from the artist left in bronze and feel the the textures from artistic decisions.

Imagine standing in front of a Henry Moore - known for his beautiful voluminous abstract human forms, usually of women reclining in position or emcracing their children - and physically connecting with it; and through that connection tapping into a deeper creative force. In a setting like this it would be impossible to not feel the need to create.

The Sculptural Garden contained works of art from artists like Moore, Oldenburg, Deborah Butterfield, Louise Nevelson, George Segal and Isamu Naguchi to name a few, all nestled with in a lush garden.

Henry Moore

It was a beautiful sunny day and the garden was buzzing with young families. I watched many young free spirited highschool students run from piece to piece taking photographs and making jokes. Besides walking among great works of art I walked under connected garden arches thick with colorful flowers. Halfway through I spotted a Hummingbird fluttering above. My grandmother loved hummingbirds, it was special to see one here and today.

While I was looking up and admiring the 50 or so large wind chimes in the trees and woman came up to me. She was from Washington state and visiting for a Avatar group conference. I first thought she was a park employee because she started the conversation "are youtaking photographs for personal use?". Many museums will allow you to photograph permanent works of art as long as it is for personal use. Eventually I became aware that she was not with the park and we had a long conversation about finding one's own path. it was enlightening, but now I am pretty sure I just joined a happy cult.... Gosh, I hope there is no kool-aid involved.

For more information check out the Mnneapolis Sculpture Garden page

esterrene says:
Thanks RJ! I knew I needed to go and I'm really glad I did. When I saw that hummingbird perch over me I knew she was in peace and with me.

I hope you get a chance to make it here some day. I really like the area. it reminds me of Philly in some ways with its diversity, sense of community and thriving art culture. hmmm maybe I should look into moving here ;)
Posted on: Sep 16, 2012
RJ82 says:
i was supposed to go here for a meetup but i never made it. im glad you still went.. its hard to lose someone but like you said she wouldve wanted you to see it. =] HUGS AMBER.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2012
Isamu Naguchi
Isamu Naguchi
--Nike
--Nike
Charlie L. Flat PAk house in the g…
Charlie L. Flat PAk house in the …
young woman
young woman
horseman
horseman
George Kolbe -Goddess with the Gol…
George Kolbe -Goddess with the Go…