Antwerp - Day 2

Antwerp Travel Blog

Doesn't quite fit!

The picture you see here is "technically" December 21st as it was indeed after midnight on the 20th. I added it here - alone - only because it is the last picture ever taken by my camera. :(

{edit... you may or may not have noticed that there are now more pictures ... I finally got my disposable camera developed & scanned.  I'm not super pleased with the results (particularly for the Amsterdam ones), but I uploaded some of them anyway}

At the hostel I was staying at, to get to the public toilets you had to first go outside. The other option was to go upstairs to the ones in the rooms. I had left my coat upstairs, but didn't feel like navigating the stairs, so Susie, one of the hostel employees, offered me her sweatshirt, which didn't quite fit me (as you can see).

She though it was funny enough to take a picture of, so I let her use my camera, and when she handed it back to me, I dropped it, as the lens was moving in after being turned off... so now it is stuck in that position and the camera will not switch to photo mode. Luckily I was able to pull all my photos from it, but to ever use it again ... doubtful. I think it would be more expensive to fix than to purchase a new one.

After waking up the next morning, I walked along the river and saw (what I believe is called) hoarfrost on the branches of the trees across the river. The sun was setting and it they shone brilliantly white - it was very beautiful and I found a place selling disposable cameras & snapped a shot... not sure how it will turn out, I haven't had time yet to develop the film (once I do, I'll prob.

Het Steen
update this blog with those pictures).

Today felt much nicer than yesterday. The temps were prob. the same as yesterday, but the sun was out and the air was crisp & not humid.

Seeing as I don't have any more pictures, I'll just quickly summarize the rest of my weekend in Antwerp... I couldn't get a bus back to Krakow until the 30th! As much as Antwerp is beautiful and I loved being there, I didn't really feel like spending Christmas and my birthday at a hostel, so I bit the bullet and bought a train ticket back, which went from Amsterdam to Warsaw and left on the 23rd.

Also, somewhere in there I stopped by the cinema and watched I Am Legend. A whole bunch of commercials, zero previews (coming attractions) which I thought was odd & interesting.

I had a beer coaster flipping contest with the owner of the hostel (you can see his portrait as "king" in this picture). Although I got my personal best of 34 (in high school, I won the "bierdeckel" flipping contest in our German club with 28), he showed dominance by getting 36!

I had a very good time and would love to make it back to Antwerp and definitely want to visit some other cities in Belgium in the future!

Doesnt quite fit!
Doesn't quite fit!
The River Scheldt
The River Scheldt
Me, with Onze Lieve Vrouwekathedra…
Me, with Onze Lieve Vrouwekathedr…
Grote Markt with Onze Lieve Vrouwe…
Grote Markt with Onze Lieve Vrouw…
Grote Markt