New Years Eve

Koh Samui Travel Blog

The floating lights

Happy New Years Eve! It was a cloudy day today but I still got some sun. I also got a Thai massage and it felt great. Thai massages are not like any massage that I have had before. I was put ‘yoga’ poses and pushed/pulled. The woman used her hands, arms, and feet to get the kinks out. My back feels much better.

We ran out of sun screen and decided to some souvenir shopping. I bought the cutest green dress and a ton of postcards. The GuRich Resort is located on the quiet end of Hat Lamai. Andrea and I are really pleased with the location. The main part of the beach was too busy and noisy for us. We enjoy being able to relax and have some peace/quiet. That wouldn’t have happened if we had been on the main part of the beach.

The rain clouds rolled in on our walk back and the rain followed shortly after.

Up, Up, and away
I felt bad for the resort staff because they had spent the entire afternoon decorating for the New Years Eve Gala and had to move everything into the small restaurant. It still looks lovely though. The flower arrangements are simple and classy and the twinkling lights around the pool are beautiful.

Andrea and I stopped by for a couple of drinks. One of the staff members was brave enough to sing English. At 9:30 the New Years Gala started. We watched some Thai and Polynesian dancers perform. It was an OK show. They did the best they could in the small amount of room that was available. A stage had been set up outside but due to the rain the show had to be moved indoors and there wasn’t a ton of room for the dancers. The fire dance was cool. I like twirling fire. It is pretty.

At 10:35pm the shore line was lit up by the different resorts and the rain stopped.

More Fireworks
Fireworks were going off in randomly. One of the best sights were the floating lights in the sky. They resort next to our launched some. They look like small hot air balloons that are tossed in the air and they float out over the water.

I wish I had the words to describe how beautiful was. The sound of the water, the fireworks, the resort lights, and the balls of fire floating in the sky. BEAUTIFUL.

Andrea ordered some crab and I was a bit nervous to try it. It still has the pincher things. I have never had crab before. It wasn’t too bad but the garlic sauce was rather rich so I couldn’t eat a lot of it. They are handing out silly string and poppers. Time to ring in the New Year. I will write more in 2008.

Fire!!!!