Koh Samui - Island Tour

Koh Samui Travel Blog

Chaweng View Point

Andrea thought it would be a good idea to tour the island. I wasn’t too excited at first but I am glad we did it. I wanted another beach day but it is cloudy and looks like rain so the tour is probably a good idea. We booked the “around the island” tour and it is run by Samui leisure. It took us to different points of interest around the island. We were a bit nervous after the Sea Safari tour but this one was loads better.

The best part of the tour is that there wasn’t a lot of people on the tour. In fact, it was just Andrea, myself, and an older couple from York, Great Britain. When they retired they spent six weeks going around the world. They feel in love with Thailand and kept coming back. He would say something and she would jump right in to correct him.

Grandfather rock
It was hilarious. We also had our guide and van driver with us. Taking the grand total of people to six.

The first stop was at the Chaweng view point. It was cloudy so the view wasn’t as good as it could have been but it was still stunning. Our guide gave us plenty of time to take pictures and then offered to take pictures of us in our groups.

The grandfather and grandmother rock were next and I hate to sound crude…wait I won’t say anything I will you think what you want. When we arrived to the rock formations, Andrea and I were grabbed like we were movies stars and forced to pose with a Thai women, her friends, father, and son. They wouldn’t let go of us. They held our hands, put their arms around our waists, positioned us the way they wanted. If that is how movie stars feel I understand why they lose their tempers.

The fishing village
Andrea and I just grinned. Our guide had my camera so she braved the waves and got a great picture of Grandmother rock with my camera and then came back up to make sure the tourists didn’t try to steal us.

The third stop was at a fishing village. Our guide explained that there were three groups that lived and worked there: the Muslims, Chinese, and Thai. The Muslims are the fishermen who fish at night and come back to land early in the morning to sell their fish. The Chinese are the merchants who sell the different ingredients for cooking (spices and things). Finally the Thai are the farmers who grow and sell fruits and vegetables.

I could have skipped the walk through the market. It reminded me of Mexico. The smell was horrible. A mixture of fish, raw meat, flies, and old food. There were flies on the meat, people were cutting up the meat, or flaying the fish.

Nothing I wanted to see.

Mummy Monk was after that. It is a mummified monk sporting sunglasses. The monk lived and taught on the island. A temple is currently being constructed in his honor.

The waterfall was a beautiful stop and there were ELEPHANTS! Andrea and I got some great pictures with there. We arrived at a great time and managed to snap a couple of pictures before the crowds came in. Our guide also gave us time to shop. I bought a beautiful photo album with a wood carving on the front of elephants taking a bath.

Lunch featured curry, white rice, fruits, and veggies. We all spent some time talking about our different travels and about life in Japan.

Elephants at the waterfall
Andrea and I did find out that Christmas Cake is a British thing! Talk about solving a mystery.

We had an hour to shop in Nathon Town. I didn’t buy anything but I enjoyed looking at the flowers carved out of soap. The details on them are amazing and it smells really good.

The last two stops were at the Big Buddha Temple and Phai Laem Temple. Both temples featured some pretty big Buddha statues. They were fun to look at and take pictures of but nothing I would need to see again. The temples were done Thai style with the bits of colored glass. They are something to see and photograph very well.

Andrea and I enjoyed the tour and it was a great way to spend our last day on the island. Tomorrow we are going to head to the pier, catch the early morning ferry, and then fly to Bangkok.

Grandmother rock
Grandmother rock
At the grandfather and grandmother…
At the grandfather and grandmothe…
ELEPHANTS!!!!!!!