Feeling like a Rock Star

Koh Samui Travel Blog

Heading to Koh Samui by ferry

I am on a tropical island. I am on a TROPICAL ISLAND! I love Koh Samui and I haven’t even been here for 24 hours yet. Bring on the beach, the sun, and the sightseeing.

The bus ride went well. There was plenty of leg room and we received pillows and blankets. They also gave us some snacks, a juice box, and a bottle of water. The girls sitting behind Andrea and I spoke English and were able to help us when we needed it. The main problem happened when we arrived at the ferry terminal and couldn’t understand why everyone looked confused. The girls explained that if we wanted to we could board the ferry that was leaving in a couple of minutes or we could wait with the bus and board the next ferry (thus not having to deal with carting our large duffle bag around the boat). I wanted to get to the island so we hopped on the first ferry. The first view of the island was great.

Leaving the mainland ferry port
There was a sailboat in the turquoise blue water and a white sand beach that was surrounded by coconut trees.

We took a taxi from the ferry port to our hotel. There was a problem however. The taxi driver had no idea where the GuRich Resort and Spa was. He had to pull over and ask for directions and when that failed he took the information I had and called the resort to get directions. The over the phone directions worked and we made it to the resort. It turns out the resort just had a name change and all the taxi drivers know the old name “Long Island Resort and Spa”.

The resort was ready for us. After filling out the paper work and having a refreshing “welcome to the resort” fruity drink we were lead to our little bungalow. It had a double bed, two counters, a TV, a bathroom, and a small little porch with two chairs on it.

First view of Koh Samui
The bed was nice and soft. Something we needed after Sukhothai and the long bus ride.

Andrea and I showered, brushed our teeth, and started feeling human again. We headed out to the restaurant for breakfast. The resort restaurant had a roof but is open on three sides. It over looks the Gulf of Thailand. I have only seen a view like this in the movies. The gulf that beautiful turquoise blue that fades into the sky at the horizon. To be honest, I felt like a rock star as I ate my pancakes and stared at the water.

Andrea said that she would rather be in the mountains than on a beach but she is from Florida so her opinion doesn’t matter. I told her that. I also told her that she let me pick the trip and where did she think I was going to go? If I wanted cold mountain weather I would have gone back the States…not to Thailand.

Another view of Koh Samui
She doesn’t understand that I come from the land of ice and cheese heads; we just don’t have this.

We spent the day sitting by the pool, reading. I did go swimming in the Gulf once but for the most part I enjoyed the sun. I learned how to tell the difference between Americans and Europeans. European women are topless and the male swimsuits leave nothing to the imagination. Americans are covered…at least the important bits are.

The food has been really good. We are enjoying the Thai noodles, pineapple rice, and the fruit drinks. I have been pigging out. I love vacations!

We made reservations to go sea canoeing, snorkeling, and elephant trekking on the December 30. I am looking forward to elephant trekking because they are my favorite animal.

We also went to the local mall and I bought two pairs of sandals and a new swimsuit. It is blue with palm trees on the top. (My old yellow swimsuit was old. I think it was an early college buy if not high school.)

Tomorrow will be a day of sitting and relaxing!

Ann_Hells says:
You make me want to go to Thailand even more than I already do! haha, sounds really beautiful, although painful I'm sure the bus ride had some sights :)
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008
stabber911 says:
Why did you ride the boat to Koh Pha Ngan 20 min boat ride from Samui? But you check out the half moon, full moon party first (no need to drink just go and look is ok too) You can search the full moon and half moon from the net to get the date. I am glad you enjoy the holiday in thailand. I hope your friend, Andrea enjoy Thailand too.
Posted on: Jan 14, 2008