Erin's Grumpy Day ~ Sea Safari

Koh Samui Travel Blog

Limestone cliffs

It was a busy and interesting day today. Interesting might not be the right word. Fun and frustrating? Fun yet disappointing? I am not sure how to really describe today. Looking back it was fun but at the time I am not too sure if I would say I was having fun.

It was my grumpy day today. I was a GRUMP. I have no idea if it is because of the tour or if I woke up on the wrong side of the bed but I was one of the seven dwarfs and my name was GRUMPY.

Andrea and I booked a Sea Safari tour for today. The tour took us to the Ang Thong National Marine Park where we went sea canoeing, snorkeling, then we headed to the Emerald Lake, and finally back to Koh Samui for elephant trekking.

Limestone cliffs

We boarded the boat and headed for the marine park at 9:00am. The boat ride wasn’t bad for me but it takes a lot to get me sea sick. Andrea wasn’t so lucky and got sick twice on the way to the marine park. She wasn’t the only one. I am pretty sure a couple of other people were wishing that they would have taken the sea sickness tablets that had been offered. It was a two hour boat ride in some wavy waters so I understand that people were getting sick. (The tour did offer sea sickness tablets but not many people took them on the start of the tour.)

As I stated earlier I was pretty grump and poor Andrea had to deal with me during the sea canoeing. Part of the problem was there were no real instructions on how to use and/or paddle a sea canoe. We were put in a boat and told that if we came up to limestone rock formations to use our paddles to push away from it because they were sharp and would hurt our skins.

Limestone cliffs
Ok, that was helpful but how the heck were we supposed to paddle straight?

We got in the boat feeling pretty confident but it was obvious that we had no clue what we were doing. I was in the front so my job was to paddle and Andrea was in the back trying to keep us straight. I would paddle, turn to look at Andrea, and see her not paddling but trying to get comfortable instead. At first I grumbled to myself, then I started glaring, and then started grumbling to Andrea because our boat was not going straight. No one else seemed to be having the problems that we were. We tried copying them and that didn’t work.

By the end of the experiences (as in the last five minutes) we had finally figured out how to go straight. Well, Andrea figured it out I just paddled.

Emerald Lagoon
The gulf was beautiful and the limestone rock formations were stunning. I love how they just rose up out of the water. Looking back at the 20 to 30 minute sea canoeing adventure it was fun and worth it but at the time I was ready to jump out of the canoe and swim back to the boat. I am surprised Andrea didn’t throw me off with my attitude.

Once we got back to the boat we waited to go snorkeling. We waited and waited, and then waited some more. No one else was getting in the water to go so we decided to give the snorkeling a try even though no one else was. There was a reason no one else was going. It was too wavy and it was making the water cloudy. We couldn’t see a thing. I got out of the water and went to dry off. Andrea stayed in the water because she wasn’t sea sick as long as she was off the boat.

Lunch was served and we headed off to the next stop the Emerald Lake.

Emerald Lagoon
Andrea stayed away from the lunch and ended up getting sick again. She wasn’t the only one. At least four other people ended up grabbing bags and getting sick. I was feeling pretty good but decided to take a sea sickness tablet just to be safe.

The Emerald Lake was gorgeous. It was emerald green and filled with water from the gulf. The water enters through small little caves that are too small for divers to enter but other sea creatures can fit through them. It was a wonderful spot to take pictures. The lake was in what I would call a crater. It was surrounded by the limestone rocks with trees growing on them. It was a green tropical delight. I would have enjoyed spending more time there but it was becoming crowded as more tours showed up.

We headed back to Koh Samui for the final bit of the tour the ELEPHANT TREKKING.

Emerald Lagoon
The tour brochure said “meet and feed the elephants…trek through the rainforest and beautiful coconut plantation.”

Let me translate: “meet and feed the elephants” means “meet and feed the two baby elephants that are chained to a pole and must stretch as far as they can to get the bananas you are trying to feed them.”

“…trek through the rainforest and beautiful coconut plantation.” Translates to “ride up and down a hill in under ten minutes. There will be a few coconut trees and a rainforest that we won’t enter.”

The elephant trekking was a complete joke. The elephant rides at the circus are more exciting. While it was a major disappointment I was still able to ride on an elephant in Thailand and that had been my main goal.

Elephant ride