Are we there yet?

Bangkok Travel Blog

Seaweed flavored Lays Chips

It has been a long day and it still is not over. We have been traveling all day (and are still traveling). We woke up at 6:30, got all of our stuff together, had breakfast, and were on our way to the Sukhothai bus station by 7:20. Riding in a tuk-tuk is a great way to wake up. The wind in your hair, the noise of the motor, the fumes…they wake you up!

We caught the eight o’clock bus for Phitsanulok. The bus looked like it was from the forties. All of the seats were torn up and instead of air conditioning there were fans lined up on the ceiling. I enjoyed the hour bus ride.

At the Phitsanulok station we got a Sawngthaew to take us to the airport.

The ticket area
The airport was open but none of the stores in it were. Andrea and I played 500 rummy and I finally beat her! It was about time. The plane took off at noon and it was a forty minute ride to Bangkok. The fight went fast: we took off, reached our cruising altitude, and then we landed in Bangkok.

When we were in Chiang Mai, Andrea and I bought 3rd class train tickets from Bangkok to Surat Thani. I had been reading my guide book which told me that on a third class train there was no beds; only wooden benches and most people crashed where they could. I was not looking forward to sitting on a wooden bench for 10+ hours. Andrea and I had discussed the problem and Andrea wanted to see if we could find a flight. So when we landed in Bangkok we asked if there were any flight to either Surat Thani or Koh Samui.

More of the ticket area
Because it was peak season there were none.

We took a taxi from the Old Bangkok Airport to the new south bus station (and that was our tour of Bangkok). I wasn’t too impressed with what I saw. It looked like any old city. Of course, we were not in the tourist area so that would probably be part of the reason I was unimpressed. The taxi ride took about forty minutes and cost around 300 baht for the two of us.

The new bus station was nice! It looked like construction had just finished because there was still room for shops. Andrea and I got in line and kept our fingers crossed and ended up with two VIP bus tickets heading from Bangkok to Koh Samui (ferry ticket included). The guidebook stated that the VIP buses had more leg room, air conditioning, a toilet, and that the seats reclined more.

Tickets for Koh Samui
That is the reason I wanted to get them. I don’t mind a wooden train bench if it is for a short ride but not for 10+ hours.

We got our tickets around 4:00pm and the best left at 8:30pm. Andrea and I wanted to see if we could get a taxi to the Grand Palace but were told it was rush hour and the traffic would be horrible. Instead we went to the internet café. After doing our e-mail check, we headed to the second floor to grab some food. The floor was laid out like a café court with tons of different options for food. There were vegetarian options, a steak house, Thai food, a Korean place, and sweet stalls.

At 6:00pm the national anthem started playing over the speakers and everyone stopped what they were doing to stand (as a visitor you are also expected to do this). During this time pictures of the king and queen are put up on the television screens and the words to anthem float across the screen. This happens twice a day (at 8:00am and 6:00pm) in every village, town, and city.

The bus will leave around 8:20pm. If there are no complications we should be on Koh Samui by 10:00am tomorrow. Bring on the beach!

stabber911 says:
You are right in choosing VIP bus, actually VIP bus also have two types as one type is one bus only have 24 seats, really comfortable.. Many traveler choose train but I really ashame to say that thai train is not good really.
Posted on: Jan 14, 2008
dfoo says:
I think you should have stayed in Bangkok. Even for just 1-2 days. It's actually not just any old city. There is an interesting mix of new and old. Downtown is quite new and modern. With some of the best shopping. Also the markets in Bangkok are sublime.

I caught the very same bus/ferry except in reverse. I didn't particularly like the bus leg of the journey though.
Posted on: Jan 13, 2008
Walking around the station
Walking around the station
Please dont stand on the toliet to…
Please dont stand on the toliet t…
Bangkok