A Good Day to Bargain...

Shenzhen Travel Blog

Shenzhen is the place to go shopping for tailor made items and find bargain buys.  From Hong Kong, my aunt took us on the train to take us to Lo Wu.  We then walked across the border and through customs to get to Shenzhen, China.  The first thing you see when you get through customs, is a 5 floor shopping center.  Inside, there are over a thousand tiny shops that sell anything you can imagine.  The first thing I did when I got there was head straight to the tailors.  I got fitted for pants, shirts, and a suit.  They have books of fabrics to choose from, and you can choose the style of clothes that you want.  After bargaining for a good price, both my mom and I combined bought 3 suits, 4 pairs of pants, and 2 dress shirts for less than $300 USD!  While that is such a great steal, they will not be able to tailor make clothes for you in a day; you will have to go back in a few days to pick up all your items.  Other stores include: tea shops, shoe stores, "designer" handbags, electronics, and many others.  Since I was with my aunt and my parents are originally from Hong Kong, it was much easier to bargain for good prices.  My advice for tourists are to never except more than half of the first offering price.  After they tell you the price, offer about 1/3 of that and then slowly go back up to about half if they bite.  After walking away from an offer that does not suit you, they will often chase you down and offer a better price.

I did not buy anything other than the tailor made items, but we walked around to see where everything was.  We will be back again in a few days when my sisters and my sister's fiance's family gethere.  My older sister is planning on getting many things for her wedding in Shenzhen, including a traditional chinsese dress for her tea ceremony.  After the day of walking and traveling, we came back to the apartment, ate dinner, and went straight to sleep.  The 13-hour time difference has not set in yet.

310 km (193 miles) traveled