A slightly cloudy night

Visalia Travel Blog

I have been preparing for our upcoming Cruise to Alaska for some time. In fact, we booked back in February!  And one of the reasons for this particular trip was the hopes of being able to see some Aurora Borealis or northern lights.  This is one item on my Bucket list, and I have been trying to wait for several years until they are at their best possible chance to see.  I may be a year or two early, but I just figured I’d give it a try.

Well, one of the things about that is being able to photograph them if we are lucky enough to see them.  And how better to do that than go out at night and see what my camera does.  There are many settings available on it including taking shots for up to 15 seconds in length to allow the light in.  And I know that for at least part of the fun will be taking movies too, but for now I am practicing my still shots. Trying every setting there is and finding out just what I can expect in results.

This portion of the blog occurred on July 10th, 2009 and there was a fairly full moon, but there was also a stream of light fluffy clouds blowing in from the south west.  The clouds were moving pretty rapidly, at times covering the moon and a very bright star which was just to its right.

Visalia